Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Shades of the Keating Five

1. Apr 22, 2008 #1
    McCain was drawn into a land speculator's deals.

In addition to property at Fort Ord there were several local Arizona land swaps that McCain facilitated. Diamond traded small parcels of land not capable of development because they were too steep, for thousands of acres of federal land in the path of development + cash.
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 22, 2008 #2

Staff: Mentor

My first thought, of course, was: they're trying again? But then after checking the article, I find they only mention the Keating 5 once, in passing, and don't actually connect it to the issue that the article is about. So - could you explain what you mean by "shades of the Keating Five"?
  4. Apr 22, 2008 #3
    That would be John McCain once again doing favors for someone wealthy.:rolleyes: Even people in AZ didn't know that McCain had been involved in Diamond's California ventures.

Only a few people knew that McCain had enabled Diamond's Arizona land swaps.
  5. Apr 23, 2008 #4

Staff: Mentor

Yes, he's a politician. What does that have to do with the Keating five? Are you saying that the Keating five was just your typical every-day political favor?
  6. Apr 23, 2008 #5
    Keating definitely tried to make it a typical political favor. It wasn't, it was a scandal.

McCain was one of the Keating five. I guess it was a bit before your time, but it is still a hot issue in Arizona. Plus it is again the same AZ senator involed in a California issue.

The developer now involved with McCain goes from one land scam to the next always being able to buy his way through the bureaucracy.

From the link:

He definitely got his money back, 100,000 times over. McCain sponsored two bills that only benifited Daimond.
    Last edited: Apr 23, 2008
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?