What causes the shadow below a whirlpool in a pool?

• Thread starter Big_E_Pat
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Shadow
In summary, the conversation discusses the observation of a small whirlpool and a shadow appearing at the bottom of a wading pool while it is draining. The speaker hypothesizes that the movement of water may cause the shadow due to refraction of light. They also mention experiencing difficulties with uploading a picture and provide additional information about the refraction of light.
Big_E_Pat
Hi there,

I have noticed that when the wadding pool I work at is draining, a small whirlpool appears over the drain in the center of the pool. When the sun is shining a shadow appears at the bottom of the pool(2.5-3 feet deep) below the whirlpool. The shadow is larger than the whirlpool itself, or at least larger than the amount of water that is noticeably moving.

Using my knowledge of physics, I hypothesized the moving water perhaps diffracts the incoming photons so that a minimal amount pass through, therefore causing the shadow at the base of the pool? Any help would be greatly appreciated, this has been really bugging me.

Please excuse my grade 12 knowledge of physics.

P.S. I took a picture, but cannot upload it due to iphoto "unexpectedly quitting" on me whenever i try to open it, i hope i have been descriptive enough.

Thanks,

Eric

Physics news on Phys.org
The clear water "refracts" the light, not "diffracts". The curved tops of the ripples act like lenses and bends the light. The spots where the light is bent away from look darker, but there should also be lighter spots on the bottom of the pool where the light has been bent towards. You can play around with this effect using eyeglasses.

What is a "shadow created by whirlpool"?

A shadow created by whirlpool refers to the darkened area or absence of light caused by the swirling motion of a whirlpool. This shadow can be seen on the surface of the water as well as underneath it.

How is a shadow created by whirlpool formed?

A shadow created by whirlpool is formed when light rays are blocked or absorbed by the water in the center of the whirlpool, creating a darkened area. The swirling motion of the water also adds to the distortion of light, resulting in a shadow-like effect.

Why does a shadow created by whirlpool appear distorted?

The distortion of a shadow created by whirlpool is due to the refraction of light caused by the varying densities of the water. As the water moves in a circular motion, the different densities create a bending effect on the light rays, causing the shadow to appear distorted.

Can a shadow created by whirlpool be observed from above and below the water's surface?

Yes, a shadow created by whirlpool can be observed from both above and below the water's surface. The shadow will appear on the surface of the water and can also be seen underneath the water, depending on the depth and clarity of the water.

What factors can affect the appearance of a shadow created by whirlpool?

The appearance of a shadow created by whirlpool can be affected by factors such as the intensity and direction of light, the depth and clarity of the water, and the size and speed of the whirlpool. Other factors, such as the angle of observation and the position of the viewer, can also impact the appearance of the shadow.