Shaft analysis, under water

In summary, the conversation discusses the design of a fan blade attached to a generator that will be submerged in water. The device is semi-enclosed in a cylinder and the force of the waves will cause the propellor to spin. The question is raised about the types of forces that will be present on the shaft, with the weight of the propellor and the torque caused by its spinning being considered. The weight of the propellor cannot be neglected unless it is neutrally buoyant and there will also be hydrodynamic forces present. A diagram and more information about the system would be helpful in understanding it better.
fenix8o0
I am designing a fan blade which is attached to a generator. The unit will be submerged in water. The blade will be attached to the generator by a shaft. The device is semi-enclosed in a cylinder with the top and bottom open. The force of the waves will cause the propellor to spin.

My question is: What types of forces will present on the shaft. I can think of the weight of the propellor and the torque caused by it spinning. Would the weight of the propellor be neglected since it is submerged underwater? Any response is appreciated. Thank you.

Engineering news on Phys.org
fenix8o0 said:
I am designing a fan blade which is attached to a generator. The unit will be submerged in water. The blade will be attached to the generator by a shaft. The device is semi-enclosed in a cylinder with the top and bottom open. The force of the waves will cause the propellor to spin.

My question is: What types of forces will present on the shaft. I can think of the weight of the propellor and the torque caused by it spinning. Would the weight of the propellor be neglected since it is submerged underwater? Any response is appreciated. Thank you.

A diagram and better description would help. It's not clear exactly how this is working. One thing is easy to answer, however. The weight of the propeller can't be neglected unless it is neutrally buoyant which is unlikely. There will be hydrodynamic forces present on the blade and shaft, if you are in waves. Are the waves crashing (on the device) or not?

How carefully have you designed this system? Is this an intuitive guess, or a truly novel system that has been studied in detail? If the latter, then I can see why you don't give details, but if you want help, it's best to give at least some details. Your description of wave power doesn't sound like it will work well. However, without a diagram it's difficult to be sure.

What is shaft analysis under water?

Shaft analysis under water is a scientific method used to study the behavior and performance of a shaft or rotating machinery in a submerged environment. It involves measuring various parameters such as torque, speed, and vibration to assess the condition and functionality of the shaft.

What are the applications of shaft analysis under water?

Shaft analysis under water is commonly used in marine engineering, offshore oil and gas operations, and underwater infrastructure maintenance. It is also used in the development and testing of underwater vehicles and propulsion systems.

How is shaft analysis under water conducted?

Shaft analysis under water is typically carried out using specialized underwater equipment such as sensors, data loggers, and cameras. These instruments are attached to the shaft or machinery and collect data while it is in operation. The data is then analyzed to identify any issues or abnormalities.

What are the benefits of shaft analysis under water?

Shaft analysis under water allows for the early detection of potential issues, such as corrosion or damage, which can prevent costly repairs or breakdowns. It also provides valuable insights into the performance and efficiency of underwater equipment.

Are there any challenges to conducting shaft analysis under water?

Yes, there are several challenges to conducting shaft analysis under water, including limited visibility and accessibility, high water pressure, and the need for specialized equipment and expertise. However, advancements in technology and methods have made it easier to overcome these challenges and conduct accurate and efficient analysis.