What is the Role of Coupling Elements in Flywheel Design using KiSSsoft?

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of KiSSsoft for analyzing a flywheel for a train. The person is trying to determine what to denote as "driven" in the software since the hydraulic pump used as a motor for powering the flywheel also acts as a motor for recuperating energy. They also mention the possibility of including motor bearings and a shaft coupler for alignment errors. Another person suggests adding a coupling element to the flywheel and clarifies the meaning of "driving" and "driven" in the software.
bhaazee
I am designing a flywheel for train and for that I am performing a shaft and bearing analysis with KiSSsoft.

In KiSSsoft, for analysis of shafts, source of driven and driving have to be given. My flywheel is powered by a hydraulic pump (Hence can use the term "Motor" as "Driving" in KiSSsoft). but the hydraulic pump acts as ahydraulic motor as well to recuperate the stored energy in flywheel later when needed. But I know know what has to be denoted as "driven", since the same h.pump is used as h.motor for recuperation.

When the flywheel is decoupled from the hydraulic pump, the flywheel starts to loss energy due to air friction and loses all its energy (comes to halt) after say 60 minutes. This means I can use the term "powerloss" (as "driven" in KiSSsoft). But this happens only when I no longer use the flywheel's energy (say at the end of the day). Hence the term "powerloss"can't be considered.

Can someone help me out in this?

Regards.

Attachments

• KiSSsoft.jpg
    KiSSsoft.jpg
    10.6 KB · Views: 472
Engineering news on Phys.org
Perhaps the motor bearings should be included?

I don't see a shaft coupler to handle alignment errors . . . unless the motor rotor is built as integral to the flywheel shaft.

I'm not familiar with the software as much as what bad things happen when these elements are . . . neglected.

GOOD LUCK!

Bob Wilson

I am not sure if I got u right.

The motor is just indicated as a means of power input into the system. hence no need to indicate the motor bearings. the assumption is that the shaft is coupled perfectly such that no misalignment occurs due to the coupling between the flywheel shaft and motor shaft. The above possible mentioned errors hence are accounted for.

and of course Thnx btw.

Hi bhaazee

Add a coupling element to your fly wheel and set it to driving. Take out all the torque there you put in through the coupling of the motor.

Please also note that in KISSsoft the view of driving and driven comes from the gears, and has the gearbox view. So driven means power gets in, and driving means the respective element is a driving element in the machine (typically a pinion). So in your case the coupling at the flywheel is driving the inertia of the flywheel, hence storing energy. And the coupling of the hydraulic pump is driven by the pump/motor.

If you want to see the reverse operation, the flywhell driving and the pump working as a break, switch driving/driven for both couplings.

Hope that helps.

1. What is Shaft Analysis with KiSSsoft?

Shaft Analysis with KiSSsoft is a software tool used by engineers and designers to perform calculations and simulations on shafts and other rotating components. It helps to analyze the structural integrity, stress distribution, and dynamic behavior of shafts under various loading conditions.

2. How does Shaft Analysis with KiSSsoft work?

The software uses advanced algorithms and mathematical models to calculate and predict the behavior of shafts. It takes into account factors such as material properties, geometry, and loading conditions to provide accurate results. The user inputs the necessary data and the software performs the analysis, providing visual representations and numerical values as output.

3. What are the benefits of using Shaft Analysis with KiSSsoft?

Using Shaft Analysis with KiSSsoft can greatly improve the efficiency and accuracy of shaft design. It helps to identify potential failure points and optimize the design to ensure the shaft can withstand the intended loads. This can save time and resources in the design process and lead to better-performing and more reliable products.

4. Can Shaft Analysis with KiSSsoft be used for different types of shafts?

Yes, the software is capable of analyzing various types of shafts, including straight, stepped, and hollow shafts. It can also be used for different materials, such as metals, composites, and plastics. The software can handle both static and dynamic loading conditions, making it suitable for a wide range of applications.

5. Is Shaft Analysis with KiSSsoft user-friendly?

Yes, the software has a user-friendly interface and is designed to be easy to use. It provides helpful tutorials and guides to assist users in navigating the software. Additionally, it has a robust support system in case users encounter any issues or have questions about the software's capabilities.