Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Shaft couplings

1. Oct 6, 2011 #1
    Hi guyz,

I need some help in choosing the shaft couplings to connect the motor to the gear and from gear to the wheel.

The motor shaft is 11 mm and the gear shaft is 24 mm. (Max torque 2 Nm, Max speed 70 rpm)
    Output of the gear shaft is 32 mm and the wheel shaft is 30 mm. (Max torque 112.5 Nm, Max speed about 1.24 rpm)

I've come across two types of couplings which are helical and below shaft couplings. Which one is better? Or do you guyz have better recommendations?

Thank you very much.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 6, 2011 #2
    I have had the most success with SAE splined flexible spider shaft couplings.

4. Oct 10, 2011 #3
    It depends on your budget. I'm not sure what you mean by "below shaft". Do you mean "bellows" coupling? So named because they have a bellow shape.

If cost is not an issue, a bellows coupling will be much stiffer than a helical coupling. The drawback is it is not as flexible. If you don't have a very precise assembly and aren't as concerned with compliance, a helical coupling should work fine.

Stay away from aluminum couplings though. Especially if it is helical. Fatigue is a major consideration and I've had aluminum helical couplings fail on me.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook