Choosing a Shaft Coupling for Motor-Gear-Wheel Connection

In summary, the conversation discusses the need for shaft couplings to connect a motor to a gear and from the gear to a wheel. The dimensions and maximum torque and speeds of each shaft are mentioned. The individual has found two types of couplings, helical and bellows, and is seeking recommendations. The other person suggests SAE splined flexible spider shaft couplings and mentions that the choice depends on budget and precision of assembly. They also warn against using aluminum couplings due to potential fatigue issues.
Mr Zakaria
Hi guyz,

I need some help in choosing the shaft couplings to connect the motor to the gear and from gear to the wheel.

The motor shaft is 11 mm and the gear shaft is 24 mm. (Max torque 2 Nm, Max speed 70 rpm)
Output of the gear shaft is 32 mm and the wheel shaft is 30 mm. (Max torque 112.5 Nm, Max speed about 1.24 rpm)

I've come across two types of couplings which are helical and below shaft couplings. Which one is better? Or do you guyz have better recommendations?

Thank you very much.

Engineering news on Phys.org
I have had the most success with SAE splined flexible spider shaft couplings.

It depends on your budget. I'm not sure what you mean by "below shaft". Do you mean "bellows" coupling? So named because they have a bellow shape.

If cost is not an issue, a bellows coupling will be much stiffer than a helical coupling. The drawback is it is not as flexible. If you don't have a very precise assembly and aren't as concerned with compliance, a helical coupling should work fine.

Stay away from aluminum couplings though. Especially if it is helical. Fatigue is a major consideration and I've had aluminum helical couplings fail on me.

1. What is a shaft coupling and why is it important for a motor-gear-wheel connection?

A shaft coupling is a mechanical device that connects two shafts together, allowing them to rotate together while also compensating for any misalignment between them. It is important for a motor-gear-wheel connection because it ensures that the rotational power from the motor is effectively transferred to the gear and ultimately the wheel, without causing excessive wear or damage to the components.

2. How do I determine the correct size of a shaft coupling for my motor-gear-wheel connection?

The correct size of a shaft coupling is determined by considering several factors such as the torque and speed requirements of the motor, the misalignment between the motor and gear shafts, and the available space for the coupling. It is best to consult the manufacturer's specifications or seek the advice of a professional engineer to ensure the proper size is selected.

3. What are the different types of shaft couplings available for motor-gear-wheel connections?

Some common types of shaft couplings include rigid couplings, flexible couplings, and universal joints. Rigid couplings are simple and rigid connections that do not allow for any misalignment. Flexible couplings, such as jaw couplings or beam couplings, are designed to compensate for small amounts of misalignment. Universal joints are used for larger misalignments and allow for angular movement between the shafts.

4. Can I reuse a shaft coupling for a different motor-gear-wheel connection?

In most cases, it is not recommended to reuse a shaft coupling for a different connection. The coupling is specifically designed for a particular set of components and may not function properly or may cause damage if used with different components. It is best to use a new coupling for each new connection.

5. How do I maintain and troubleshoot issues with a shaft coupling in a motor-gear-wheel connection?

To maintain a shaft coupling, it is important to regularly inspect for any signs of wear or damage, such as misalignment, looseness, or cracks. Lubrication may also be necessary to ensure smooth operation. If issues arise, such as excessive vibration or noise, it is important to check for any misalignment or wear and make necessary adjustments or replacements. It is also recommended to consult with the manufacturer or a professional engineer for further troubleshooting and maintenance advice.