Solving a Mechanical Engineering Problem: AISI 1020 HR Steel Shaft

In summary, The conversation is about a senior in Mechanical Engineering seeking help in solving a problem involving a loaded shaft made of AISI 1020 HR steel with a diameter of 1.00 inch. The critical point is located to the left of "B" and the person is trying to determine if the shaft will fail. They have figured out that they need to obtain the general stress state at point B and are questioning how the stress at point "C" will affect it. The person explains that the problem would be easier if there was only one moment and one torque at point "B", but the other stresses are causing confusion. The conversation ends with a clarification about the need to consider the sum of all bending moments and torques at
aortucre
Hey. This is my first post, I'm a Senior in Mechanical Engineering, I will help others as far as I can.

I'm trying to solve the problem from the picture. The shaft is loaded with 2 transverse loads, 2 moments and 2 torques. The critical point is immediately to the left of "B". The material is AISI 1020 HR steel. The shaft has a diameter of 1.00 inch. I'm trying to figure out if the shaft will fail.

As of now I've figured out that I have to obtain the general stress state at point B. My question is, how does the stress at point "C" affect the stress at point "B"??

If there was only 1 moment and 1 torque affecting point "B", that would be an easy problem, but having the other stress is confusing me.

Any ideas?

THAKS!

Attachments

• 2012-04-20 13.07.52.jpg
    2012-04-20 13.07.52.jpg
    17.5 KB · Views: 473
Engineering news on Phys.org
Are you concerned about the fact that your shaft is accelerating like a bandit?

The shaft is pinned at A and D. Thanks for your reply!

Then why is there a problem? What you need is the sum of all bending moments at the point of interest, not just the moment applied at that point, and the sum of all torques, not simply the torque applied at that point, where you calculate the equilibrium condition for an element at that location.

1. How do you determine the appropriate material for a mechanical engineering problem?

The selection of material for a mechanical engineering problem depends on factors such as the required strength, stiffness, and durability of the component. In this case, AISI 1020 HR steel shaft is a commonly used material due to its high strength and good machinability.

2. What are the steps involved in solving a mechanical engineering problem?

The steps involved in solving a mechanical engineering problem include identifying the problem, gathering data and information, analyzing the data, formulating a solution, and testing and evaluating the solution. It is important to follow a systematic approach to ensure an accurate and efficient solution.

3. How do you calculate the stress and strain on a AISI 1020 HR steel shaft?

The stress and strain on a AISI 1020 HR steel shaft can be calculated using the basic equations of stress and strain, which take into account factors such as the dimensions of the shaft, the applied load, and the material properties of AISI 1020 HR steel. These equations can be found in engineering handbooks or can be derived using principles of mechanics.

4. How do you ensure the safety and reliability of a AISI 1020 HR steel shaft?

To ensure the safety and reliability of a AISI 1020 HR steel shaft, it is important to perform thorough testing and analysis during the design and manufacturing process. This includes conducting stress and strain analysis, fatigue testing, and material testing to ensure the shaft can withstand the expected load and operating conditions.

5. How do you troubleshoot and solve problems that arise during the design or manufacturing process of a AISI 1020 HR steel shaft?

If problems arise during the design or manufacturing process of a AISI 1020 HR steel shaft, it is important to first identify the root cause of the issue. This can be done through testing, analysis, and evaluating the design and manufacturing processes. Once the cause is identified, appropriate changes and adjustments can be made to ensure a successful solution.