Shaft Friction Control: Simple Solutions

In summary: Does anyone have an idea of simple instrumentation (sort of a brake) to add on the shaft so that it helps to increase resistance on it?There are a few options you could look into. One is to use a conductive disk with a fixed magnet to give eddy current braking. Another option is to use a DC motor with a continuous current to generate the torque. Another option is to use a blade on a pivot to create resistance.
mechit
TL;DR Summary
Shaft friction control
Hello Everyone,

I'm working on a future mechanical structure with a rotating shaft. In this project, I should be able to control the resistance on the shaft but instead of adding some extra weights on the shaft to increase inertia, I don't have any ideas. Does anyone have an idea of simple instrumentation (sort of a brake) to add on the shaft so that it helps to increase resistance on it?

Thanks a lot

Engineering news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF.
How much torque do you require?
How fast does the shaft rotate?
You could use a DC motor with a continuous current to generate the torque.
You could use a conductive disk with a fixed magnet to give eddy current braking.
Or go old style ... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prony_brake

Likes mechit
Thank you for your reply!
Actually, I don't have a specification for the torque because it is a shaft that rotates thanks to the wind. A blade will be fixed on it.
I will look at your recommendation
Thanks a lot

What is the radius = length of one blade ?
What is the wind speed ?

Is it vertical or horizontal?
Are you wanting to stop its rotation from a high speed or just slow it? What is the approximate weight of the rotating mass?

mechit said:
Does anyone have an idea of simple instrumentation (sort of a brake) to add on the shaft so that it helps to increase resistance on it?
I don't understand, a brake is a "sort of brake". Sure, there are many models, but they pretty much all work the same.
mechit said:
I should be able to control the resistance on the shaft but instead of adding some extra weights on the shaft to increase inertia, I don't have any ideas.
If increasing inertia is what you are looking for, you don't have to add extra weight, you can just move the ones already there away from the center of rotation.

1. What is shaft friction control?

Shaft friction control refers to the methods and techniques used to reduce or eliminate the frictional forces between a rotating shaft and its surrounding components, such as bearings, seals, and other mechanical parts. This is important in order to prevent excessive wear and tear on the shaft and its components, and to improve the overall efficiency and performance of the system.

2. Why is shaft friction control important?

Shaft friction control is important because excessive friction can lead to a number of issues, including increased energy consumption, reduced performance, and premature wear and failure of components. By implementing effective shaft friction control measures, these problems can be minimized, resulting in improved reliability and longevity of the system.

3. What are some simple solutions for shaft friction control?

Some simple solutions for shaft friction control include using lubricants, such as oils or greases, to reduce friction between the shaft and its surrounding components. Other methods include proper alignment and balancing of the shaft, using anti-friction bearings, and implementing regular maintenance and cleaning procedures.

4. How do I know if my system needs shaft friction control?

If you notice excessive noise or vibration, increased energy consumption, or premature wear and failure of components in your system, it may be an indication that your system needs better shaft friction control. It is important to regularly monitor and maintain your system to identify and address any potential issues before they become more serious.

5. Can shaft friction control improve the efficiency of my system?

Yes, effective shaft friction control can significantly improve the efficiency of a system by reducing the amount of energy required to overcome frictional forces. This can lead to cost savings and improved performance of the system. Additionally, reducing friction can also extend the lifespan of components, resulting in further cost savings in the long run.