1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Shaft Material

1. Nov 21, 2013 #1
    If iam using a magnetic material as a shaft. The rotating shaft in a magnetic field can cause the flow of current? resulting current flow in shaft?? please clarify me...

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 21, 2013 #2

NascentOxygen

Staff: Mentor

The shaft doesn't need to be of a magnetic material, any material that conducts electricity will do. Unless your shaft is an odd shape, there should not be much to worry about. A long thin solid metal cylindrical shape spinning on its longitudinal axis won't have much circulating current. If the shaft were made of layers and strips of a conductor separated by an insulating material in a really strong field this might cause problem voltages and currents.

Do you have an unusual application in mind?

4. Nov 21, 2013 #3
    Thanks for your valuable reply. whatever you said is good but really i have a different thought please clear me what the major differences when i use the shaft materials as iron & Stainless steel.

5. Nov 21, 2013 #4

NascentOxygen

They would have quite different mechanical capabilities, but I can't imagine the electrical differences (if any) would be significant in this respect.

Do you have an unusual application in mind?

6. Nov 21, 2013 #5
    can i define iron as a magnetic material & ss as a non magnetic material ??? If so What about the leakage currents condition in shaft Materials of both magnetic & non magnetic materials???

Please answer with patience dont think as foolish bcoz i m poor in this......

7. Nov 21, 2013 #6

NascentOxygen

Do you have a magnet you can test to see whether it attracts one of your kitchen SS knives?

A shaft could be made of a non-magnetic material such as brass, or fibreglass.

It seems that I'm not going to have my question answered?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook