Shaft Material

• Thread starter kranth90
  • Start date

Main Question or Discussion Point

If iam using a magnetic material as a shaft. The rotating shaft in a magnetic field can cause the flow of current? resulting current flow in shaft?? please clarify me...

Answers and Replies

NascentOxygen
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
The shaft doesn't need to be of a magnetic material, any material that conducts electricity will do. Unless your shaft is an odd shape, there should not be much to worry about. A long thin solid metal cylindrical shape spinning on its longitudinal axis won't have much circulating current. If the shaft were made of layers and strips of a conductor separated by an insulating material in a really strong field this might cause problem voltages and currents.

Do you have an unusual application in mind?

Thanks for your valuable reply. whatever you said is good but really i have a different thought please clear me what the major differences when i use the shaft materials as iron & Stainless steel.

NascentOxygen
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Thanks for your valuable reply. whatever you said is good but really i have a different thought please clear me what the major differences when i use the shaft materials as iron & Stainless steel.
They would have quite different mechanical capabilities, but I can't imagine the electrical differences (if any) would be significant in this respect.

can i define iron as a magnetic material & ss as a non magnetic material ??? If so What about the leakage currents condition in shaft Materials of both magnetic & non magnetic materials???

Please answer with patience dont think as foolish bcoz i m poor in this......

NascentOxygen
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Do you have a magnet you can test to see whether it attracts one of your kitchen SS knives?

A shaft could be made of a non-magnetic material such as brass, or fibreglass.

It seems that I'm not going to have my question answered?