1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Shaft Speed Calculation:

1. Mar 31, 2010 #1
    I am trying to figure out the speed that a motor shaft is running at but i have no reference materials to work with. I had to place a tachometer on the outside of the shaft as there was no centre drilled hole to work from. I got the following results:

Diameter of tachometer: 31.5mm
    Diameter of motor shaft: 12mm
    RPM of tachometer: 1400rpm

What calculation would i need to work out the rpm of the motor shaft?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 31, 2010 #2
    wouldn't the rpm of the shaft be 1400 rpm unless I am missing something , or are you wanting the angular velocity

4. Mar 31, 2010 #3

Filip Larsen

Gold Member

If the tachometer is of the type that uses a contact wheel to pick up rotation, then the shaft RMPs = RPMt * dt/ds, where subscript s is for shaft and t for tachometer. With the values you gave, the 1400 tachometer RPM then corresponds to 3675 shaft RPM.

5. Mar 31, 2010 #4

Yeh thats the answer I had as well. I just thought it seemed too simple to be the same principle as gear ratio's. Thanks for your help.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook