Shaft Speed Calculation:

Main Question or Discussion Point

I am trying to figure out the speed that a motor shaft is running at but i have no reference materials to work with. I had to place a tachometer on the outside of the shaft as there was no centre drilled hole to work from. I got the following results:

Diameter of tachometer: 31.5mm
Diameter of motor shaft: 12mm
RPM of tachometer: 1400rpm

What calculation would i need to work out the rpm of the motor shaft?

Answers and Replies

wouldn't the rpm of the shaft be 1400 rpm unless I am missing something , or are you wanting the angular velocity

Filip Larsen
Gold Member
If the tachometer is of the type that uses a contact wheel to pick up rotation, then the shaft RMPs = RPMt * dt/ds, where subscript s is for shaft and t for tachometer. With the values you gave, the 1400 tachometer RPM then corresponds to 3675 shaft RPM.

If the tachometer is of the type that uses a contact wheel to pick up rotation, then the shaft RMPs = RPMt * dt/ds, where subscript s is for shaft and t for tachometer. With the values you gave, the 1400 tachometer RPM then corresponds to 3675 shaft RPM.

Yeh thats the answer I had as well. I just thought it seemed too simple to be the same principle as gear ratio's. Thanks for your help.