Shall I do a PhD?

• Programs
  • Thread starter parton
  • Start date
Hi!

I finished my master thesis in mathematical physics and now I am currently looking for a PhD position. Unfortunately there is no position available. I even tried
to apply in some other areas I'm interested in - without any success (no free position available).

Now I am thinking to ask a professor of a pedagogical university to do a PhD there. In this case I have to do pedagogical stuff, of course, but after the PhD (if I get a position at all), I'd like to work in the financial industry (or maybe another industry).

Now I'm just wondering, if a PhD in a pedagogical area could be a disadvantage if apply at a bank, for example. If I work on pedagogy, I don't have to deal with really diffcult mathematical or physical problems. I don't have to do with path integrals, partial differential equations, or anything like that. So I would do something completely different for about 3 years and I probable won't need the knowledge acquired during the PhD.

In this case an employer could say, that there is a too large time lag since I really did mathematics and physics and I wouldn't get a job.

On the other hand, a PhD (despite the area of research) would attest the ability to work independently (among other things), which would be an advantage.

So I don't know what to do now. I just know that I want to do a PhD, because it is a "dream" of mine, despite of its use in the future.
But if I won't find a job then, it would be better to apply with my master degree rather than doing a PhD. I just don't know what to do....

Does anyone have any experience, if it really matters for the work after the PhD what you actually worked on during your doctoral thesis?

If someone could help me, I would be very glad.

Answers and Replies

What do you want to do :

Make your dream come true ?

or

Not living your dream ?

I don't quite follow what you're asking, what country are you in?