Revivable Shallow Freezing: The Future of Cryogenics?

• Thread starter FreeWill
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Freezing
In summary, shallow freezing involves using a blood-substitute with antifreeze to reduce a subject's body temperature below freezing point, effectively putting them in a state of suspended animation. This has been successfully achieved with a dog, but it requires careful revival to avoid potential brain damage. The benefits include low energy requirements and the possibility of waking up in a different time period. However, it is currently not widely available and there is limited information on the subject.
FreeWill
I read about this, it seems diffferent from cryogenic freezing. I'd like to be frozen but revivable...what do you think about this. Do you think I could be frozen like this and revivable? (In a different way from cyrogenic freezing)

Shallow Freezing: Using a blood-substitute containing an 'antifreeze' a subject could be prepared and their life-signs halted while their body temperature is reduced to below freezing point without their actually freezing solid. In this way they would be effectively 'dead' but revivable. I have read unconfirmed reports that this has been achieved with a dog that was revived successfully, but either way this is the closest to what we can currently achieve. After all, some creatures (such as scorpions) can be frozen solid and then thawed without noticable ill effects.
Benefits: once 'frozen' the subject requires relatively little energy to keep them in a 'safe' state from which they can be revived. Flaws: the subject has to be revived right, or they will suffer some damage, most likely to the brain. Technology required: We can almost do this at the moment.

Biology news on Phys.org
Do you have a link toa website with more info?

sorry I forgot where I found it but that was all the info on shallow freezing there was on it I think. But anyways I really want some information on this shallow freezing stuff

Last edited:
Anyways what I want to know is:

Could I have shallow freezing done on myself? Where I'm dead but revivable? Because that sounds like it would be neat. Then I could wake up in a better time period, or a worse one, I guess

Last edited:

1. What is revivable shallow freezing?

Revivable shallow freezing is a cryopreservation technique that involves freezing biological tissue at a temperature slightly below the freezing point of water. This allows for the preservation of tissues without causing significant damage to the cells.

2. How does revivable shallow freezing differ from traditional cryogenic techniques?

Unlike traditional cryogenic techniques, which involve freezing at extremely low temperatures (-196°C or lower), revivable shallow freezing allows for the preservation of tissues at a higher temperature (-5°C to -15°C). This minimizes damage to the cells and increases the chances of successful revival.

3. What are the potential applications of revivable shallow freezing?

Revivable shallow freezing has potential applications in the fields of medicine, organ transplantation, and space travel. It could be used to preserve organs for longer periods of time, making organ transplantation more feasible. It could also be used to cryopreserve astronauts during long space journeys.

4. Is revivable shallow freezing safe?

Revivable shallow freezing has been extensively studied and has been found to be safe for use on a variety of tissues and cells. However, more research is needed to fully understand its long-term effects and potential risks.

5. What are the challenges of implementing revivable shallow freezing?

One of the main challenges of implementing revivable shallow freezing is developing the technology and techniques to successfully revive and restore frozen tissues. This involves finding ways to prevent ice crystal formation and minimize cellular damage during the freezing and revival process.