1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Shankar 12.4.4 - the rotation matrix vs. a rotation matrix (tensor operators QM)

1. Nov 22, 2011 #1
    Shankar 12.4.4 - "the" rotation matrix vs. "a" rotation matrix (tensor operators QM)

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

My question comes up in the context of Shankar 12.4.4. See attached .pdf.

2. Relevant equations

See attached .pdf

3. The attempt at a solution

See attached .pdf

I have this problem: on Shankar p. 313, they say:
    >>>>
    We call V a vector operator if V's components transform as components of a vector under a passive transformation generated by U[R]",

[itex]{U^\dag }[R]{V_i}U[R] = {R_{ij}}{V_j}[/itex]

where R[ij] is *the* 2x2 rotation matrix appearing in [12.2.1] (NOTE, below)...The same definition of a vector operator holds in 3D as well, with the obvious difference that R[ij] is a 3x3 matrix."
    <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<
    But aren't there multiple 3x3 rotation matrices?

Also: I have attached some work from Merzbacher, beginning of chapter 12. I did this work, and something isn't clicking in my thick skull.... :-p

NOTE: Can't look up 12.2.1, because p. 306 of my .pdf book is gone, and I didn't bring my hard-copy book home, as I'm on Thanksgiving break).

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 22, 2011 #2
    Re: Shankar 12.4.4 - "the" rotation matrix vs. "a" rotation matrix (tensor operators

I'm sorry, I didn't make my question clear. Initially, I am asking: *what* R[ij] is being talked about as "The" R[ij]. I think this is somewhat-related to my "another another" try in the first attachment "320 - pr 4-4 - classical-esque...", where I try to reverse-engineer a matrix R that has the components I want. However, as my aim is to solve this problem correctly, that may not even be the right question to ask....

4. Nov 22, 2011 #3
    Re: Shankar 12.4.4 - "the" rotation matrix vs. "a" rotation matrix (tensor operators

....It also looks like the .pdfs didn't go through -_-

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook