Shankar vs Griffiths: A Comparison of Quantum Mechanics Textbooks

In summary: I have been reading "Spacetime and Geometry" by Sean Carroll. I found it very interesting and it has helped me to better understand GR.
Son Goku
What are your opinions on Shankar: Principles of Quantum Mechanics and
Griffiths: Introduction to Elementary Particle physics?

I've decided to use them to study my two QM modules and my Particle Physics Modules, instead of the recommended texts.

So how good are they?

Physics news on Phys.org
I learned QM from Shankar- a pretty good book in my opinion and a great mathematical introduction to QM.

Griffiths Particle Physics is a great book- for an undergraduate introduction to the subject. It gives a good overview of the subject, shows you how to calculate cross sections and invariant amplitudes. It does not show you how to derive the Feynman rules for a theory, but given the rules, it does show you how to calculate the amplitudes. It also teaches you all about quantum numbers and the conservation laws associated with them.
Cheers,
Ryan

I love Shankar. It's very rigorous.

I have been reading Schutz' "A First Course in GR", but after Chapter 8, I feel that it is too difficult for me to progress. So I am putting it down for the time being. I read "Principles of QM" by Dirac and found most of it quite easy to understand. But the book has no exercises so I couldn't gauge how well I understood the material. Then I read Liboff's "Introductory QM" which has the exercises but in retrospect, does not seem well written to me. Now I got out a copy of Shankar, but it's the 1980 edition so I expect it is different from what you have. I am currently reading the second chapter. Because I have a background in functional analysis, and because I read the Dirac book, I have no problem with the Dirac notation. My plan is to read the Shankar book and then go on to read "QFT in a Nutshell" by Zee, and then "A First Course in String Theory" by Zweibach. I read Zweibach up until he started to use QFT and left me in the dust. That's why I want to read Zee before I try again. It seems that Shankar is good preparation for Zee, but if there are other opinions, I would love to hear them.

jimmysnyder said:
I have been reading Schutz' "A First Course in GR", but after Chapter 8, I feel that it is too difficult for me to progress. So I am putting it down for the time being.

Funnily enough, I thought Schutz was useless after chapter 8.
I don't like the way he starts on gravitational waves straight away.

He is brilliant to learn the field equation from, but learn about specific case solutions elsewhere.

I'd recommend Carroll's book.

Son Goku said:
I'd recommend Carroll's book (for GR).
I assume you mean "Spacetime and Geometry" by Sean Carroll. I had the good fortune to hear Professor Carroll speak at Stoneybrook last month. He is very entertaining. However, I am putting GR aside for the time-being.

1. Who are Shankar and Griffiths?

Shankar and Griffiths are two prominent scientists in the field of quantum mechanics. Abhay Ashtekar Shankar is an Indian-American theoretical physicist, while David J. Griffiths is an American physicist and author of several popular textbooks on physics.

2. What is their contribution to the field of quantum mechanics?

Shankar and Griffiths have made significant contributions to the understanding of quantum mechanics through their research and publications. Shankar's work focuses on the development of new mathematical methods for solving problems in quantum mechanics, while Griffiths has written extensively on the fundamentals of quantum mechanics and its applications in various fields.

3. How are Shankar and Griffiths connected?

Although they have not directly collaborated on any projects, Shankar and Griffiths are both highly respected and influential figures in the field of quantum mechanics. They have both taught and mentored numerous students and have had a significant impact on the advancement of the field.

4. What are some of their notable publications?

Shankar is known for his book "Principles of Quantum Mechanics", which is widely used as a textbook in many universities. Griffiths is known for his books "Introduction to Quantum Mechanics" and "Introduction to Elementary Particles", both of which are highly regarded by students and professionals alike.

5. What is the significance of Shankar and Griffiths' work in the scientific community?

Shankar and Griffiths' work has greatly advanced the understanding of quantum mechanics and has had a significant impact on various fields such as physics, chemistry, and engineering. Their contributions have also inspired and influenced many other researchers in the field, making them highly influential figures in the scientific community.