Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I Shankars derivation of equivalence between path integral and Schroedinger's eqn

1. Dec 29, 2016 #1
    On page 230 in Shankar's PQM (1994 edition) he is trying to show that the path integral formulation reduces to Schroedinger's eqn. The equation he comes up against is the following

$$\psi (x,\epsilon) = \sqrt{\frac{m}{2 \pi i \epsilon \hbar}}\int_{-\infty}^{\infty}dx' \psi (x',0) \exp\left[\frac{im(x-x')^2}{2\epsilon \hbar} \right] \exp\left[\frac{-i\epsilon}{ \hbar} V\left( \frac{x+x'}{2},0\right) \right]$$

He makes the argument that the first exponential is going to oscillate like hell because ##\epsilon \hbar## is so small. He says that in order to keep this under control we need to restrict the range of x' so that

$$\frac{m \eta^2}{2\epsilon \hbar} \leq \pi$$
    where
    $$\eta = (x-x')$$

which I follow. He then changes the variable of integration from x' to ##\eta##, no big deal. He expands everything inside the integral to second order in ##\eta## because that corresponds to first order in ##\epsilon##. I'm still on board. He then integrates over ##\eta## from ##-\infty## to ##\infty## and this is where he loses me. What happened to ##\frac{m \eta^2}{2\epsilon \hbar} \leq \pi## ? The way he expressed everything inside the integral assumed that ##\eta## is small. So why is he integrating over the whole range of ##\eta##?

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 30, 2016 #2

vanhees71

Science Advisor
    2016 Award

It doesn't matter, because ##\epsilon \hbar## is so small. That's the usual way to evaluate an integral approximately with the method of steepest descent. You usually get an asymptotic series with that technique.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted