Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Shankar's QM 2nd Edition

1. Jun 19, 2015 #1
    Hi Folks,

How do we arrive at equation 1.8.7 page 33.

We have ##<i|\Omega-\omega I|V>=0##, given ##I=\Sigma_{j=1}|i><i|## we can write

##<i|\Omega-\omega \Sigma_{j=1}|i><i||V>=0##

not sure how to proceed from here...

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 19, 2015 #2
    You can decompose
    You can write your vector V as a linear combination of the basis vectors

##|V>=Sigmavj|j>##

and then using the fact that the basis vector are orthogonal with each other you can evaluate the bracket, taking into account that ωij are the matrix element of Ω in the |i> basis (<i|Ω|j>=ωij)

Last edited: Jun 19, 2015
  4. Jun 20, 2015 #3
    I can get as far as

##<I| \Omega - \omega \Sigma_{I} |I><I| \Sigma_{j} v_{j} |j>=0##

##\Sigma_{j} \Omega - \omega \Sigma_{I} |I><I| v_{j} \delta_{ij}=0##

How is the identity dealt with?

5. Jun 20, 2015 #4
    Don't put the identity in the first place, and remember that <i|Ω|j>=Ωij (eq 1.6.1) (I wrote it wrong in my last post)

6. Jun 21, 2015 #5
    I do not follow regarding the identity. I do not know how to remove it. Can u clarify?

7. Jun 21, 2015 #6
    I could show you the whole process but I don't know how to type it.

8. Jun 21, 2015 #7
    Ok here it is

##\left\langle i\right|\Omega-\omega\left|v\right\rangle = \left\langle i\right|\Omega-\omega(\sum_{j}v_{j}\left|j\right\rangle )##
    ## = \sum_{j}v_{j}\left\langle i\right|\Omega\left|j\right\rangle -\omega\sum_{j}v_{j}\left\langle i\right.\left|j\right\rangle ##
    ## =\sum_{j}v_{j} \Omega_{ij}-\omega\sum_{j}v_{j}\delta_{ij}##
    ## = \sum_{j}v_{j}(\Omega_{ij}-v_{j}\delta_{ij})##

Last edited: Jun 21, 2015
  9. Jun 22, 2015 #8
    Thanks for your efforts, just some questions:

1) How do you justify omitting the identity I?
    Are you treating this equal to 1 because the action of the identity operator on a ket is just the same ket?
    Additionally, Shankar specifically instructed to apply the identity operator to the left of |V>

2) How did you arrive with a 2nd bra <i| on the second line? There is only one.

regards

10. Jun 22, 2015 #9
    1) Yeah, the identity is implied, it action of a ket and a bra is to leave it as they are. (reading Shankar I don't know why one would introduce the representation of the identity though)

2)Well, the actual equation is
    ##\left\langle i\right|(\Omega-\omega\left)|v\right\rangle=0 ##

Look at 1.8.3 and multiply by the left by the i bra.

11. Jun 22, 2015 #10
    To clarify, You can't really have

##(\left\langle i\right|\Omega)-(\omega\left|v\right\rangle) ##

because that would be adding a bra to a ket and you can't do that since they belong to different vector spaces.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook