Circle Questions Homework - Page 9 Question 12 | Physics Admissions Test

• Thread starter Chewy0087
  • Start date
In summary, the student struggles with these types of questions and does not know how to solve them. He asks for help from others and is grateful when he is given it.
Chewy0087

Homework Statement

page 9 question 12
http://www.physics.ox.ac.uk/admissions/undergraduate/admissions_test/tests06.pdf

page 3 question 12
http://www.physics.ox.ac.uk/admissions/undergraduate/admissions_test/tests08.pdf

The Attempt at a Solution

I really REALLY struggle with these types of question and honestly, i can't see any way to do it (in my knowledge) I think maybe it relies on certain assumptions about circles I'm not sure about but the annoying thing is I think they should be easy :(...

thanks for any help / points in the right direction, they're so annoying :/

also bear in mind a calculator isn't allowed :(

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Some observations on the first problem. It looks like the centers of the circle lie on the squares diagonal. The distance from the center of the large circle to the center of the small circle is known. That distance becomes the hypotenuse of a triangle that is similar to the triangle that formed by the diagonal and two sides of the square. It is aglebra from there on out.

Some observations on the second problem. You will need to find the length of AO and the height of triangle ABC. Set all the equal lengths to 1 unit. Make a triangle AOC. What are the interior angles of AOC? You should be able to find the length AO and the distance from O to the base of the triangle AOC if you know the side relationships of a 30-60-90 triangle.

Ah that's great thanks! I got the 2nd one however still having a bit of trouble with the first;

i've made the triangle with 3r diagonally and (4.5)^0.5 r on each side and like you said i know it's similar so the edge of the square must be some product of (4.5)^0.5 however I've no idea how to go about working that out >.< as soon as I know that I've got the answer...

Thanks for the help though, just need to get this :P

Also i got a REALLY nasty answer for the second, I know it's eight marks but I got;

( [tex]\frac{13\pi}{12\sqrt{0.75}}[/tex] + [tex]\frac{4\pi}{3}[/tex] ) : 1...um...lol which is around 8 : 1, do you reckon that's about right? I know it's meant to be a hard test, but that's ridiculous lol

Last edited:
On the first problem, notice that you can draw an extra square with its upper left corner coinciding with the upper left corner and its lower right corner in the center of the big circle. The lengths of the sides of this square should be easy to find, as well as its diagonal. From there you can calculate the length of the diagonal of the big square and from there its sides and area.

On the second one I got a different answer, [tex] (4/3 + 4/\sqrt{3})\pi[/tex]. Can you show what your approach was?

kanato said:
On the first problem, notice that you can draw an extra square with its upper left corner coinciding with the upper left corner and its lower right corner in the center of the big circle. The lengths of the sides of this square should be easy to find, as well as its diagonal. From there you can calculate the length of the diagonal of the big square and from there its sides and area.

that's great, genius! :P

For the first problem, with the square and the two circles of radii R and 2R, I have got an answer that I'm not sure about. I worked it out myself and I think I did was kanato is explaining. Can I show you my result? I think it is [tex]\frac{10\pi}{9(1 + \sqrt{2} )^2}[/tex]? But I'm not sure.

Last edited:
Here are hints for the first problem:
n6ul4g.png

If d is the diagonal of the big square then [tex]d=r\sqrt{2}+r+\frac{r}{2}+\frac{r\sqrt{2}}{2}[/tex]

And if the side of the square is a then [tex]a=\frac{d}{\sqrt{2}}[/tex]

Regards.

Here are hints for the second one:

21nqtkk.png

The area of the ring is [itex]P=(R^2-r^2)\pi[/itex]

[tex]r=\frac{2}{3}h=\frac{a\sqrt{3}}{3}[/tex]

and

[tex]a=r\sqrt{3}[/tex]

so

[tex]R=a+r=r(1+\sqrt{3})[/tex]

Now [itex]P=r^2\pi[(1+\sqrt{3})^2-1][/itex]

And the area of the spherical segment is [itex]S=\frac{R^2*\pi*120}{360}[/itex]

Finally the area of ADEC is [itex]P_{ADEC}=P-S=(R^2-r^2)\pi-\frac{R^2*\pi*120}{360}+\frac{r^2*\pi*120}{360}[/itex]

[tex]P_{ABC}=\frac{a^2\sqrt{3}}{4}[/tex]

Regards.

Last edited:
okay this is what I've got (i'm pretty sure about it)

[tex]\frac{2\pi}{3}[/tex] (1 + [tex]\frac{2}{\sqrt{3}}[/tex]) : [tex]\frac{\sqrt{3}}{4}[/tex]

I came up with:

[tex]\frac{8\pi\sqrt{3}(5+2\sqrt{3})}{27}[/tex]

Regards.

Last edited:
mkay...i don't think that's it, firstly it's supposed to be a ratio, and secondly I've done it a couple of times and so has another guy (who's good at maths) and we both my answer... not sure though xO

Chewy0087 said:
mkay...i don't think that's it, firstly it's supposed to be a ratio, and secondly I've done it a couple of times and so has another guy (who's good at maths) and we both my answer... not sure though xO

Yep, its ratio:

[tex]\frac{P_{ADEC}}{P_{ABC}}=\frac{\frac{2r^2\pi(5+2\sqrt{3})}{3}}{\frac{3r^2\sqrt{3}}{4}}[/tex]

When you divide both of them (since it is ratio) you come up with the final result.

Do you have some results so we can compare it?

Regards.

Last edited:
Hmm i'll write out the working and post it a bit later, this WILL be sorted! :P

1. What is the formula for calculating the circumference of a circle?

The formula for calculating the circumference of a circle is C = 2πr, where C is the circumference, π is a constant with an approximate value of 3.14, and r is the radius of the circle.

2. How do I find the area of a circle?

The formula for calculating the area of a circle is A = πr², where A is the area and r is the radius of the circle. Alternatively, you can use the diameter of the circle (d) instead of the radius, in which case the formula becomes A = π(d/2)².

3. Can I use the same formula to find the area of any shape?

No, the formula for calculating the area of a circle can only be used for circles. Other shapes have their own specific formulas for calculating area.

4. What is the difference between a circle and a sphere?

A circle is a 2-dimensional shape with a curved perimeter, while a sphere is a 3-dimensional shape with a curved surface. A circle has a radius and a diameter, while a sphere has a radius and a diameter as well as a volume.

5. How can I use circles in real-life applications?

Circles are used in many real-life applications, such as in the design of wheels for vehicles, in the construction of tunnels, and in the creation of rounded containers such as bottles and cans. Circles are also used in geometry and in various mathematical calculations.