What are the shape functions for a polynomial with given boundary conditions?

In summary: Thanks for trying to help!In summary, the author is looking for help determining two shape functions based off of a polynomial and given boundary conditions. However, they are not able to determine what to use based off of the information provided.
jon8105

Homework Statement

I am asked to determine two shape functions based off of a polynomial and Boundary conditions that are given at this url: http://i267.photobucket.com/albums/ii286/TechNewsSource/ShapeFunctions.jpg"

I would have posted it here but I can't remember how to do symbols on forums.

The Attempt at a Solution

Anyways, using the prescribed boundary conditions, which are the result of a beam fixed at both ends, I couldn't determine what to use for the two shape functions. I know that using x/L and (x/L)^2 would be valid shape functions, but I am not sure how to determine the shape functions based off of the given polynomial. I am sure it is something simple I am missing, but I just couldn't figure it out. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Anyone have an idea?

jon8105 said:
I would have posted it here but I can't remember how to do symbols on forums.

try going to any number of posts that has math formulae in it, click "Quote" and see how they did it.

the two [itex]\Psi[/itex] equations have nothing differentiating them from each other. the second one tells you nothing that the first one doesn't already tell you, which is not enough. you have 4 parameters to determine and only 2 constraints.

i would recommend that people refrain from helping until you make it easier for them to do so (by learning [itex]\LaTeX[/itex] and using it).

The link shows all the information that was provided, so why are you telling people not to help because the information is not in the post? It is very easy to right click on the link and open in a new tab!

Also, there is only one equation given, that is to be used to determine two shape functions. I am not sure if the unknowns (a,b,c and d) are to be used, but are in the eq. to show the definition of the polynomial.

Nevermind, I figured it out myself. However, it doesn't look like I was going to get help anyways.

1. What are shape functions?

Shape functions are mathematical functions used in finite element analysis to approximate the displacement or strain fields within an element. They are used to represent the geometry and deformation of the element.

2. What is the purpose of shape functions?

The purpose of shape functions is to simplify the complex problem of calculating displacement and strain within an element by using a set of functions that are easier to work with. They help to accurately represent the behavior of the element under applied loads.

3. How are shape functions determined?

Shape functions are typically determined by satisfying the interpolation conditions at a set of discrete points within the element. These points are known as nodes and the shape functions are required to pass through these nodes.

4. What is the difference between linear and quadratic shape functions?

Linear shape functions are defined by a linear combination of nodal values, while quadratic shape functions are defined by a quadratic combination of nodal values. This means that quadratic shape functions are able to capture more complex shapes and deformations compared to linear shape functions.

5. Can shape functions be used for all types of elements?

Yes, shape functions can be used for all types of elements. However, the type and order of the shape functions may differ depending on the element type. For example, 2D elements typically use linear or quadratic shape functions, while 3D elements may use higher order shape functions.