Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Shape of orbitals in solid

1. Apr 9, 2007 #1
    I asked myself how the orbitals in a solid look like.
    Assume a crystal with a periodic structure, e.g. NaCl. The electrons in the crystal have energys according to the energy-band-model. Every band consists of that much discrete energy-levels that you might nearly call it continous. I know that molecules have hybrid orbitals. For example the H2-molecule has two spatially seperated s-orbitals (bonding and anti-bonding), right? Does a crystal also have "hybrid orbitals", i.e. macroscopic orbitals which are as large as the crystal itself? Have the horribly much orbitals, which together build a band, the same shape? Has someone ever computed it for a periodic crystal-structure? I guess not...

Best regards
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 9, 2007 #2
    Just thougt of a different picture:

Every nucleous in the solid has its own orbitals i.e. every nucleous contributes one energy-level to every band. But why, in a periodic structure, there are different energy-levels? In NaCl for example every nucleous "sees" the same "environment". Because of symmetry every Na should have the same energy-levels. So no continous bands...
  4. Apr 16, 2007 #3
    Hey why thread closed??
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?