Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Shape of the universe

1. Apr 7, 2005 #1
    I'm not overly familiar with GR, but I have heard that gravity is basically a result of the curvature of space. Its not an attractive force so much as its a consequence of travelling on a curved surface. But I've also read that observing cosmic microwave background hot spots leads to a flat universe. So can the universe be flat, if GR claims gravity needs curves?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 8, 2005 #2

SpaceTiger

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Tomato, tomawto.

I think this was covered by someone else in another thread recently, but the basic idea is that massive objects are like little "dimples" in spacetime, despite its overall flatness. Imagine a large, flat rubber sheet with a few marbles resting on the surface. The marbles make an impression locally, but the overall sheet is flat. In the real world, the small-scale curvature due to gravitationally bound objects can be demonstrated with phenomena like gravitational lensing.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?