Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Shape of The Universe?

1. Sep 21, 2005 #1
    This recent paper is interesting:http://arxiv.org/abs/physics/0509171

It has some interesting images, and it offers some conceptual thinks.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2005
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 21, 2005 #2

JesseM

Science Advisor

4. Sep 21, 2005 #3
    There is a :N.B. that our results do not rule out the recently proposed dodecahedron model of Luminet, Weeks, Riazuelo, Lehoucq & Uzan, which has a 36 degree twist between matched circles.

If one looks closely in the link you provided?

5. Sep 22, 2005 #4

JesseM

Science Advisor

Ah, you're right. I found the link to that paper on this page, which seemed to say that Luminet and Tegmark had opposing conclusions:
    But I guess the person who wrote the page didn't notice that note, or that the N.B. was only added in a later draft.

6. Sep 22, 2005 #5

JesseM

Science Advisor

I just looked over the actual paper though, and it says:

7. Sep 22, 2005 #6

Garth

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

There is a problem, not generally acknowledged, with the standard model interpretation of the WMAP/BALLOON/COBE data, that of the deficit of the low-l modes. While the standard model can explain this deficit as a statistical "fluke" as there are so few of these modes, the correlation between their positions and local geometry has led to their alignment being called "the axis of evil".
    If this "AOE" is explained by local contamination of the data, or by a lensing of the cosmological dipole, then the deficit is made even worse.

Therefore these low-l modes (large angle anisotropies) may indeed be not consistent with the standard LCDM model prediction of a flat or open and therefore infinite universe but rather with a finite universe. Yet the data of l ~50 peak appears also consistent with a flat universe, so how can this be reconciled? By a model in which the universe is flat yet finite, such as the dodecahedron model, or by a conformally flat model.

Is this the reason WMAP2 is so long in being published?

Garth

Last edited: Sep 22, 2005
  8. Sep 22, 2005 #7

marcus

Science Advisor
    Gold Member
    2015 Award
    Dearly Missed

Last edited: Sep 22, 2005
  9. Sep 22, 2005 #8

Chronos

Science Advisor
    Gold Member
    2015 Award

I agree with Spin. The dodecahedral model has not been ruled out. I was pretty sold on the Cornish explanation until recently. The paper Spin referenced is worth a look. So is this:

W Aurich et al. 2005 CMB anisotropy of the Poincaré dodecahedron
    arXiv.org/abs/astro-ph/0412569

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?