The Shape of Very Massive Stars: Spheres or Something Else?

• I
  • Thread starter windy miller
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Shape Stars
In summary, the shape of very massive stars is dependent on their rotation rate and surface gravity. If they are rotating rapidly, they will be oblate spheroids, otherwise they will be spheres. Massive stars are expected to have surface irregularities due to their high surface gravity, with larger stars having larger irregularities. However, the average density of supergiant stars like Betelgeuse is much lower than that of air, making it difficult to define a surface.
windy miller
What is the shape of very massive stars? Are they simply spheres or something else?

Astronomy news on Phys.org
Why would you expect them to be anything other than spheres?

Likes windy miller
If they are rotating rapidly, they will be oblate spheroids. Otherwise, they are spheres.

Likes windy miller
phinds said:
Why would you expect them to be anything other than spheres?
I seem to recall someone saying they weren't , but I want to be clear I don't have any reference for that. Always best to ask i think if one has some doubts.

phyzguy said:
If they are rotating rapidly, they will be oblate spheroids. Otherwise, they are spheres.
thanks

Thanks for the help, could you clear up the surface deformrity issue though. When I think of a surface of a neutron star I thin of it being very smooth , but our sun has lots of bubbling convection flows I imagine. SO what about massive stars, will they have more surface irregularitites?

Last edited by a moderator:
windy miller said:
Thanks for the help, could you clear up the surface deformrity issue though. When I think of a surface of a neutron star I thin of it being very smooth , but ur sun has lots of bubbling convection flows I imagine. SO what about massive stars, will they have more surface irregularitites?

Of course they will have surface irregularities. The Earth is very close to a sphere, but it has mountains and canyons. The height of any surface irregularities will depend on the surface gravity. The higher the surface gravity, the more potential energy it will take to produce a "bump". A massive supergiant like Betelgeuse has a relatively low surface gravity because of its large radius (about 0.5 m/s^2 according to Wikipedia), so we would expect relatively large surface irregularities. A massive main sequence star like Theta Orionis A1 is much smaller, so has a much larger surface gravity (20,000 m/s^2 according to Wikipedia), so we would expect much smaller surface irregularities. A neutron star has an enormous surface gravity so any irregularities will be extremely small.

Likes lomidrevo and windy miller
phyzguy said:
Of course they will have surface irregularities. The Earth is very close to a sphere, but it has mountains and canyons. The height of any surface irregularities will depend on the surface gravity. The higher the surface gravity, the more potential energy it will take to produce a "bump". A massive supergiant like Betelgeuse has a relatively low surface gravity because of its large radius (about 0.5 m/s^2 according to Wikipedia), so we would expect relatively large surface irregularities. A massive main sequence star like Theta Orionis A1 is much smaller, so has a much larger surface gravity (20,000 m/s^2 according to Wikipedia), so we would expect much smaller surface irregularities. A neutron star has an enormous surface gravity so any irregularities will be extremely small.
Thanks that makes a lot off sense.

phyzguy said:

just to add, one should also realize that average density of supergiant stars like Betelgeuse, can be as low as ## 10^{-8} \rho_{sun} ##, where ##\rho_{sun} = 1410 \ kg \ m^{-3}## is the average solar density. That means that average density of Betelgeuse is approximately ##10^5## times less then the density of air we breathe at sea level. It might be quite difficult to define any surface in such conditions :)

Likes windy miller

1. What is the shape of a very massive star?

The shape of a very massive star is typically spherical due to the strong gravitational force pulling the star's material towards its center. However, as the star ages and evolves, it may develop a more irregular shape due to its rotation and the effects of stellar winds.

2. Can very massive stars have different shapes?

Yes, very massive stars can have different shapes depending on their age and stage of evolution. As they age and lose material through stellar winds, they may become more elongated or even develop a disc-like shape.

3. How does the shape of a very massive star affect its lifespan?

The shape of a very massive star does not significantly affect its lifespan. The lifespan of a star is primarily determined by its mass, with more massive stars typically having shorter lifespans. However, the shape may affect the star's evolution and the type of supernova it produces at the end of its life.

4. Are there any tools or methods for measuring the shape of very massive stars?

Yes, astronomers use a variety of techniques to measure the shape of very massive stars, including interferometry, which combines the signals from multiple telescopes to create a detailed image of the star's surface. They may also use spectroscopy to study the Doppler shifts of the star's light, which can reveal information about its rotation and shape.

5. Do all very massive stars have the same shape?

No, not all very massive stars have the same shape. The shape of a star is influenced by various factors, such as its mass, rotation, and stage of evolution. Therefore, different very massive stars may have different shapes depending on these factors.