1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Shaping a magnetic field

1. Jul 26, 2010 #1
    Hi all,

I have been playing around with some neodymium magnets recently and have found that although they are indeed very strong the 'range' of the magnetic field is not very large.

So I was wondering if there is a way to shape the magnetic field so that the magnets would attract/repel each other from a greater distace.

Hope I've made myself clear! :)

Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 26, 2010 #2
    Not in any useful sense.

You can use soft iron to 'conduct' the magnetism much like a wire conducts electricity, but there's no way to get a 'focussed' magnetic beam such as I imagine you are thinking of.

4. Jul 26, 2010 #3
    Not really trying a 'beam' more like a 'stretched' field. I read somewhere that you can use sheets of aluminium or copper to do this.

5. Jul 26, 2010 #4
    Assuming that you understand that a magnetic field is not emissive(in the sense of a monopole) a magnetic field must have a return path to exist(as we currently understand; could change)

Because of this, options to "stretch" the field is limited, and requires additional components.
    Even with additional components, the "stretch" is severely limited.

6. Jul 26, 2010 #5

K^2

Science Advisor

Aluminum or copper will only work for alternating magnetic field.

If you have a permanent magnet, the only thing that will achieve this sort of effect is a superconductor. A superconductor does not allow magnetic fields to pass through it (well, Type I doesn't, with Type II it's a little more complicated, but anyways...). So if you have a superconductor tube, and you put a magnet at one end of it, near the other end, it will be as if the magnet is right there.

7. Jul 27, 2010 #6
    Does connecting two permanent magnets with a soft iron rod extend the field as if it were a single magnet as long as the overall length?
    Would the rod being a different diameter make a difference? (assuming identical size magnets)

8. Jul 27, 2010 #7

K^2

Science Advisor

If you represent the magnet as a pair of magnetic monopoles (yes, they aren't real, but it works as a mathematical trick) then yes, something like that can be done to separate the monopoles further without altering their strengths.

9. Jul 27, 2010 #8
    So is the best way to achieve a larger 'range' to shell out and buy bigger magnets? Or does this only increase the attraction/repulsion force?

Last edited: Jul 27, 2010
  10. Jul 27, 2010 #9
    The range is infinite and magnetic fields are divergence free.

If you want to pick up an iron ball from farther away, tape your magnet to a stick and then use that as an extension.

If you want to "collect" field lines inside a solenoid for example, use an iron core.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook