Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Shared partition in dual boot

1. Apr 29, 2007 #1

Hurkyl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

So I've set up my computer to dual boot into WinXP or Fedora Core 6. As recommended by some walkthroughs I found, I've created a FAT32 partition for passing data back and forth between WinXP and linux.

Alas, it only has 8 character filename support.

I would like to have a partition for actually sharing data -- I consider this setup broken, because of the filename limitation. But do I have other options?

I may be able to set up an old computer as a fileserver if necessary -- but I would like a single-computer solution if possible.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 29, 2007 #2
    If it helps, I use ntfs-3g to access NTFS partitions in XP from Ubuntu, and fs-driver to access my Ubuntu partition from XP. I can read and write data to the partitions in both cases. I'm not sure about any filename limitations.

4. Apr 29, 2007 #3
    I thought you could have up to 32 characters in a fat32 partition, but in dos mode everything was 8 characters. Fat16 was 8 characters and that's all.

Neutrino seems to have a viable solution for you. When I use linux live cds, I can read and write to my NTFS partitions without any problems. I'm guessing they are preconfigured with ntfs-3q or some similar program.

5. Apr 30, 2007 #4
    As a quick but not too usable solution, you can zip long named files and transfer these zip files.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?