Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Sharing files of LAN with XP

1. Apr 19, 2005 #1
    How can I share some simple music files over my LAN connection. Both computers are running XP home. Thanks....
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 19, 2005 #2
    well if theyre semi close together you can use a USB cable, or if you have a highspeed internet you can use XPs remote desktop feature....
  4. Apr 19, 2005 #3

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

What the heck are you talking about? You -cannot- use a USB cable, because USB does not support peer-to-peer networking. You can have only one host on a USB network. Besides, the machines are already connected together via Ethernet!

And why involve high-speed internet?

All you need to do is:

1) enable filesharing on both PCs
    2) share a folder on one (or both)
    3) connect to one PC's shares with the other.

Problem, let me know if you don't know how to do any of these steps, and I will explain them in more detail.

- Warren
  5. Apr 20, 2005 #4
    you can send files to another computer through a usb cable, its how i transfered my old computers data to my new one...and that sounds as though all he wants to do...

and i took it as though he was going to make a sort of LAN connection not that he already had one
  6. Apr 21, 2005 #5
    ONe thing, once I make that file can I just search for it (using XP's search) on the computer that I did NOT make the file on? And hows about that mater slave thing, does that pertain to anything at all? Thanks guys.

P.S.- Thanks for the suggestion however the computers are too far apart and I already have LAN hooked up.
  7. Apr 21, 2005 #6
    i dont know what you mean by mater slave...
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?