Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Shark steam mop

1. Mar 12, 2010 #1
    I bought the latest model 3 months ago. It cleans all of my floors (wood, tile, vinyl) quite well.

Main problem I have with this mop is that changing mopheads (e.g., the one for all floors vs. the one for wood floors) is nowhere as easy as shown on the infomercial--you need to have very strong hands. And unless you wait till the mop has cooled off, removing a mophead results in being scalded by hot water drips.

Also, it's a good idea to use distilled water, as regular water may leave streaks.
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 13, 2010 #2
    Do they work as well as advertised, though?
  4. Mar 16, 2010 #3

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Not sure of the brand, but Tsu loves her steam mop. However, I'm not convinced and will eventually do a "water and soap vs steam test". Not that it will matter... :biggrin:
  5. Mar 16, 2010 #4
    If you do do one, Ivan, would post results, please? I can't seem to wrap my mind around the idea that steam would make surfaces as "clean" as using a cleanser. And the floor cleanser I use is baking soda and vinegar because I don't want Bean walking across a damp floor with chemicals on it and then licking her paws. It nevertheless strikes me that by adding something to the hot water I use is a superior situation. However, the steam mop looks fantastically quick and easy. It's tempting.
  6. Mar 24, 2010 #5

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The steam is probably good at making it look clean, because it would help cut grease better than water alone. But, yeah, not sure it would be superior to using a detergent of some sort. I'd be worried about using steam on wood floors. That would seem rather damaging.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook