Shark steam mop

• Thread starter ignoramus1
  • Start date
I bought the latest model 3 months ago. It cleans all of my floors (wood, tile, vinyl) quite well.

Main problem I have with this mop is that changing mopheads (e.g., the one for all floors vs. the one for wood floors) is nowhere as easy as shown on the infomercial--you need to have very strong hands. And unless you wait till the mop has cooled off, removing a mophead results in being scalded by hot water drips.

Also, it's a good idea to use distilled water, as regular water may leave streaks.

Answers and Replies

Do they work as well as advertised, though?

Ivan Seeking
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Not sure of the brand, but Tsu loves her steam mop. However, I'm not convinced and will eventually do a "water and soap vs steam test". Not that it will matter... :biggrin:

If you do do one, Ivan, would post results, please? I can't seem to wrap my mind around the idea that steam would make surfaces as "clean" as using a cleanser. And the floor cleanser I use is baking soda and vinegar because I don't want Bean walking across a damp floor with chemicals on it and then licking her paws. It nevertheless strikes me that by adding something to the hot water I use is a superior situation. However, the steam mop looks fantastically quick and easy. It's tempting.

Moonbear
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
The steam is probably good at making it look clean, because it would help cut grease better than water alone. But, yeah, not sure it would be superior to using a detergent of some sort. I'd be worried about using steam on wood floors. That would seem rather damaging.