Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Shark Tale

1. Jan 10, 2005 #1

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Anyone seen the Spielberg/Dreamworks animated movie, Shark Tale ?

It's causing a bit of an uproar.

The plot involves parodies of several pop culture staples - Jaws, The Godfather, etc. It's a mafia themed movie, set in the world of saltwater fish - the story of what happens when the son of the shark boss(De Niro) of a fish crime family is killed by a dropped anchor, and a bottom-feeder named Oscar (Will Smith) is found at the scene of the crime. Hoping to win favor with the enemies of the ganglord, the fast-talking hustler poses as the killer known as the "sharkslayer", but soon learns it's a dangerous game in a world where the big fish generally eat the little fish.

Another important character in the movie is a shark named Lenny, who is the now the boss' sole heir. However, Lenny is a vegetarian, and in general a disgrace to the family name. Unable to bear the shame, Lenny runs away and disguises himself as a dolphin. The movie ends with Oscar admitting that he lied, and the Boss accepting his son, no matter what his differences.

Here's some of the guest reviews I've seen for this movie :

More here , at bottom of page.

I read the reviews after I watched the movie, and I never caught any of the supposed homosexual innuendos.

What say you ?

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 10, 2005 #2

Evo

Staff: Mentor

OMG!!!! That is truly frightening. People that think like this "vegetarian" shark (secret word for "homosexual" shark) should be locked up. These people do nothing but spread hatred.

Uhm, yeah, as we all know vegetarian=homosexual. This makes me sick.

4. Jan 10, 2005 #3
    This is exactly why i'm such a misanthrope. People like that.

5. Jan 10, 2005 #4
    Yah, but that is God's will :uhh: :uhh:. Or at least that is what they. God's will is a very subjective thing, and prone to conflict of interpretation by humans. Some could believe in a tolerant view of things, or a "send-you-straight-to-hell-you-evil-devilspawn" outlook.

Talk about proselytizing their beliefs unto others. They think they mean well (to their cliques and their egos), but in reality they are causing more turmoil and hatred than anything else.

Comments like these will only spread the bigotry that exists now.

6. Jan 10, 2005 #5

Monique

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Those people are pathetic, did they see the movie 'finding nemo'? That is clearly where sharks tale got its concept of a vegetarian shark.

7. Jan 10, 2005 #6
    Bruce is awesome!

No i'm not drinking yet, i still have two classes today.

8. Jan 10, 2005 #7
    If they can't cope with a cartoon, how the hell do these poor idiots cope when they find out one of their own kids is gay?

Also, you've got to wonder what makes these people see fruity innuendo everywhere.

9. Jan 11, 2005 #8

Send them to Mercy House!!!

yeah, i doubt anyone is gonna get the reference, and if they do, its my roommates fault i know that. I blame him entirely.

10. Jan 11, 2005 #9

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

You need to be sent to the Nuthouse yourself. How can you let a roommate convince you to watch something called 3BC that does not talk about the Roman Empire after Augustus' reign ?

11. Jan 11, 2005 #10
    I have no idea what you're talking about. It was a reference to the movie 'Saved' with whats-her-face, the girl from a walk to remember....and mcauley culkin...and some other people who's names elude me for reasons of insignificance...

But since you bring up Rome, ever read Gibbon? Great stuff.

12. Jan 11, 2005 #11

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Oops, googling "Mercy House" led me to a review of 'Saved' at a website called "3 black chicks" (3BC). I inadvertently swapped the name of the flick for the name of the site.

13. Jan 11, 2005 #12
    :rofl:

Smooth gokul, very smooth.

And back to the question of gibbon?

14. Jan 11, 2005 #13

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

No, I have not. After reading Plutarch's Fall of Athens, I decided to give the rest of that genre a pass...at least for a while.

(Now, looking for it, I can't seem to find my copy of this book...blast !)

15. Jan 11, 2005 #14
    Well Gibbon wrote his in 1776 (interesting spellings back in the day), The Decline and Fall of the ROman Empire. Starts with the status of the empire at the Death of Marcu Aurelius, goes back a little discusses the post-Caesar conquests tha built the empire ( in particular Trajan (only roman emperor to stand at the banks of the tigris) and Hadrian) and then goes through the two hundred years after Aurelius' death. Good stuff really, long read though, three 1000 page volumes.

16. Jan 11, 2005 #15

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Plutarch's book, of course, was written about 2000 years ago. Fortunately, someone had the decency to translate it to English...what with my not knowing any Greek and all. Now that I try to recall what was in it, I think there was more than just "fall"ing involved. It mostly covered the story of Athens through the lives of some of its famous heroes (Aristides, Pericles...to Lysander).

17. Jan 11, 2005 #16
    I don't remember who was discussing books in translation with me, but old tranlstions are god awful, and that may be the problem. I've been reading the garret translation of crime and punishment, and to paraphrase kaufmann's comment about Thomas Common's early translation of Thus Spoke Zarathustra:

In her translation she mangles many passages creating sentences like "he waked up" and "she smelled of scent."

'These passages, and there are many, make us wonder if she knew little russian and less english'

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?