Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Sharp edge orifice

1. Sep 22, 2010 #1
    How will the angle of the sharp edged orifice affect the flow pattern. Most of the angle is encourage to keep at 30 or 45 degree.

For a study vortex generation by pushing the water through a sharp edged orifice, what is the optimum angle I should adopt or what consideration should be made?

Thank you so much for your kind reply

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 22, 2010 #2

boneh3ad

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

What do you mean by a sharp edged orifice? I don't quite follow you here.

4. Sep 22, 2010 #3
    Sorry if I had gave an inappropriate term. I've attached a diagram to illustrate.

Attached Files:

5. Sep 22, 2010 #4

boneh3ad

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Ah, I see what you mean now. It is hard to say exactly what angle is best, as that depends on what you intend to look for in your study. Suffice it to say that no matter what you do, there will be vortices generated. The 30 and 45 degree angles are most likely just special cases where the vorticity is minimum or something, though I am not 100% sure on that point as I have never done a study of the flow through an orifice myself.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook