Optimum Angle for Sharp Edged Orifice Flow Pattern

In summary, the angle of the sharp edged orifice can affect the flow pattern, with the 30 and 45 degree angles being commonly used. However, the optimal angle depends on the specific goals of the study, and vortices will be generated regardless of the angle chosen.
derekteo0710
How will the angle of the sharp edged orifice affect the flow pattern. Most of the angle is encourage to keep at 30 or 45 degree.

For a study vortex generation by pushing the water through a sharp edged orifice, what is the optimum angle I should adopt or what consideration should be made?

Thank you so much for your kind reply

Engineering news on Phys.org
What do you mean by a sharp edged orifice? I don't quite follow you here.

Sorry if I had gave an inappropriate term. I've attached a diagram to illustrate.

Attachments

• 22092010246.jpg
    22092010246.jpg
    21.1 KB · Views: 385
Ah, I see what you mean now. It is hard to say exactly what angle is best, as that depends on what you intend to look for in your study. Suffice it to say that no matter what you do, there will be vortices generated. The 30 and 45 degree angles are most likely just special cases where the vorticity is minimum or something, though I am not 100% sure on that point as I have never done a study of the flow through an orifice myself.

1. What is the optimum angle for a sharp edged orifice flow pattern?

The optimum angle for a sharp edged orifice flow pattern is 90 degrees. This means that the orifice should be perpendicular to the flow of the fluid.

2. Why is a sharp edged orifice flow pattern preferred over other types of flow patterns?

A sharp edged orifice flow pattern is preferred because it causes the least amount of disruption to the fluid flow and provides more accurate flow rate measurements. Other flow patterns, such as rounded orifice or beveled orifice, can create additional turbulence and affect the accuracy of the measurements.

3. How does the angle of the orifice affect the flow rate?

The angle of the orifice affects the flow rate by determining the shape and size of the jet of fluid that is created. At 90 degrees, the jet is narrow and well-defined, leading to more accurate measurements. At other angles, the jet can be wider and less consistent, resulting in less accurate flow rate readings.

4. Can the optimum angle for a sharp edged orifice flow pattern vary for different fluids?

Yes, the optimum angle for a sharp edged orifice flow pattern can vary for different fluids. Factors such as viscosity, density, and surface tension can affect the behavior of the fluid as it passes through the orifice. It is important to determine the optimum angle for each specific fluid to ensure accurate flow rate measurements.

5. How do I determine the optimum angle for a sharp edged orifice flow pattern?

The optimum angle for a sharp edged orifice flow pattern can be determined through experimentation and testing. It is recommended to start with a 90 degree angle and make small adjustments to see how it affects the flow rate. The optimum angle is typically the one that produces the most consistent and accurate flow rate measurements.