Casting a Large, Sharp Shadow Through Lace

In summary, the conversation discusses the difficulties in casting a large, sharp shadow through a piece of lace onto a wall. The person has tried various experiments such as increasing the focus and direction of the lamp, reflecting light with a mirror, and using an eyeglass lens. Suggestions are given to try using blue or violet light, a lens to image the lace onto the wall, and a laser pointer as a light source. The final solution is to use a strong light through a small hole, resulting in a sharp and large shadow. The conversation also delves into the physics behind this phenomenon.
alejandra
I am an artist. I am trying to cast a large sharp (in focus) shadow through a piece of lace onto a wall. It either turns out large and blurry if it is far from the wall, or sharp and small if it is closer to the wall. I have tried the following experiments:

1. Increased the focus and direction of the lamp. This improved the contrast of the shadow, but not the sharpness.

2. Reflected the light with a mirror. This allowed the piece of lace to be further from the wall, but in order to be sharp it still needed to be small, a 1 to1 size ratio.

3. Tried to focus the shadow with an eyeglass lens. This did nothing. I don't have a magnifying glass, but this is my next experiment. Perhaps also a convex lens?

Does anyone have any advice about how to cast a large, in focus shadow with a spotlight? What physics is going on here?

Thanks,
Alejandra

Physics news on Phys.org
You're getting diffraction, which bends the light at different angles.
You might try blue or violet light, which has a shorter wavelength.
If that doesn't help, you would need thicker thread, maybe with a larger space between the threads.

Blue light

Thanks for your response. Will any blue filter do? What about blue LED?

Try it, but it still might be too long a wavelength, in which case you need coarser (probably cheaper) lace.

pam said:
You're getting diffraction
Doubtful with no report of coloured fringes; look up "penumbra" then put a card with a very small aperture in front of the lamp beam and try not to put the subject (lace) too close to this aperture (move everything away from the wall instead).

If you place a lens in between the lace and wall, such that the lens images the lace onto the wall, the outline of the 'shadow' should be sharp.

If alejandra could get access to an overhead projector, I think that would do exactly what is wanted (and exactly what Andy is suggesting). Just place the lace on the projector where you would normally place a transparency.

Otherwise, a simple solution might be a hole in a piece of cardboard held in front of the lamp. Reduce the effective size of the source to get a sharper shadow. Experiment with hole size to find an optimimum; too small a hole will not provide much illumination.

Last edited:
new tries

Thanks everyone for your replies.

No colored fringes, just blurry, same shadow color. I tried a blue LED light. It looks better, but still a little blurry. I tried a hole in a card, but the light isn't strong enough to make much of a shadow through the hole, will get a stronger light and try again.

I thought of an overhead projector, or a video feed connected to a video projector, but the extra gear takes the fun out of a simple, effective set up.

What if you used a laser pointer as the light source? Even if you broadened it with a lens so it covered a larger portion of the lace, you'd still have a very bright but very small light source, making for crisp shadows.

Thanks!

I tried directing a strong light through a small hole. It works, the shadow is sharp and big. I didn´t realize that even a spotlight sends light out at many angles, enough to blur a shadow.

Thanks again everyone for your responses.

Alejandra

alejandra said:
... It works ...

Awesome! Another victory for physics! :smile:

Glad we could help out.

1. How does lace affect the shadow cast by an object?

Lace has a unique pattern of holes and gaps that can alter the shape and intensity of a shadow. When light passes through the intricate design of lace, it creates a dappled effect, resulting in a more diffuse and less defined shadow compared to a solid object.

2. Can the size of the lace affect the shadow?

Yes, the size of the lace can significantly impact the shadow cast by an object. Larger lace patterns will create a larger and more intricate shadow, while smaller lace patterns will result in a smaller and less detailed shadow.

3. What material is best for casting a sharp shadow through lace?

Thin and semi-transparent materials, such as nylon or polyester, are ideal for casting a sharp shadow through lace. These materials allow light to pass through easily, resulting in a well-defined and crisp shadow.

4. How does the distance between the object and the lace affect the shadow?

The distance between the object and the lace can impact the sharpness of the shadow. The closer the object is to the lace, the sharper the shadow will be, as the light does not have as much space to diffuse before reaching the lace.

5. Is there a specific angle at which the shadow through lace is most pronounced?

Yes, the angle at which the light hits the lace can greatly affect the visibility of the shadow. The best angle for a pronounced shadow is when the light source is directly behind the object, creating a clear silhouette through the lace pattern.