Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Shaved head

1. Jul 28, 2005 #1
    I shaved my head to save time/money/energy but now I think I'll let my hair grow back because of the increased risk of skin cancer and sunburns and stuff. Are there any other problems (Like that) that shaving my head could cause? (I mean that aren't appearence-related)

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 28, 2005 #2

Pengwuino

Gold Member

haha wow... thats what i call micromanaging life!

4. Jul 28, 2005 #3

brewnog

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Sunburn is definitely a good one to consider. Many men forget that they're going bald, and forget to cover up in strong sunlight. Of course, the top of the head gets the most sun anyway, and it's skin which isn't used to being exposed.

I can't think of any other shaved-head related problems, off the top of my head. Pun very much intended.

5. Jul 28, 2005 #4
    But there's different skin types and those different skin types can have different sensitivities to the sun right? I mean my skin doesn't burn as easily as my sisters. Is there a way to measure my skin's sensitivity to the sun and as a result see how much I need to worry about sunburns and skin cancer, etc as a result of shaving my head?
    Thanks

6. Jul 29, 2005 #5

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

Go about in the sun with your bald pate exposed.
    There aren't, I think, any other methods to determine how sensitive your skin is..

7. Jul 29, 2005 #6

honestrosewater

Gold Member

Yes, people with fair skin, light hair, and blue eyes are at a higher risk.
    Why don't you just wear sunscreen? I'm pretty sure they make hair products with sunscreen if other kinds do funny things to your hair.

8. Jul 29, 2005 #7
    You might wear a hat. I noticed they have some nice hats for cheap at Bi-Mart. You can also get good oilcloth (Indiana Jones type) hats on eBay.

9. Jul 29, 2005 #8

brewnog

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Well, you already have a fair idea of how sensitive your skin is, having compared it to your sisters.

Don't worry about skin cancer unless you're actually getting sunburnt. Just remember to cover up if it's gonna be a bright day.

10. Jul 29, 2005 #9

NateTG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

As a bald man, I can tell you that bumping your head hurts more without hair.

11. Jul 29, 2005 #10
    Also, could I have increased my risk for other things by leaving my head/scalp more exposed to the cold, wind, etc? (Depending on circumstances I mean) Or is the sun the other thing I really need to worry about?

thanks

Last edited: Jul 29, 2005
  12. Jul 29, 2005 #11
    People with bald heads tend to bump/hit/cut there heads more often.

13. Jul 29, 2005 #12

Monique

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Just wear a sunscreen on your head, nothing wrong with doing that.

14. Jul 29, 2005 #13

selfAdjoint

Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

Get a Melanin tattoo?

15. Jul 29, 2005 #14

brewnog

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Well if it's cold or windy, you might need to wear a hat.

Don't think there are other medical conditions you should worry about!

16. Jul 29, 2005 #15

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Wear a hat or sunscreen on your head (even if you're not bald, sunburn along the part in your hair can be painful too!). Even if you don't burn easily, you can be susceptible to skin cancer and still should wear sunscreen (something that people with dark skin sometimes need to be reminded about since they don't burn in the sun like fair-skinned people do). Other than that, the only other potential problem would be heat loss in the winter, but wearing a warm hat fixes that too.

17. Jul 29, 2005 #16
    If I don't have dark skin, (I don't have pale skin but I don't have dark skin, I have a medium skin tone) do I only need to worry about getting skin cancer (From sun exposure) if I get sunburned/will get sunburned?

18. Jul 29, 2005 #17
    If you're getting sunburnt then yes, as it means your skin is damaged!

Remember:

Sun leads to burns..
    Burns leads to cancer..
    Cancer leads to suffering..

19. Jul 29, 2005 #18
    I mean, if I don't/won't get sunburnt, do I still need to worry about getting skin cancer from sun exposure?

20. Jul 30, 2005 #19
    Could somebody use a (easy to get) skin sample from me to determine how easily it burns and stuff?

thanks

21. Jul 31, 2005 #20

honestrosewater

Gold Member

Yes, you need to consider cumulative sun exposure, not just sunburns. Fifteen minutes here and there adds up.
    You should be able to determine yourself your skin, eye, and hair color, whether you have lots of freckles or moles, how easily you burn, and whether your family members have had skin cancer. If you have skin and it's exposed to sunlight or tanning beds, you're at some risk - but it's easy protect yourself. Wear sunscreen regularly, avoid getting burned, and use extra protection when you're in the sun for long periods at a time or during more harmful periods.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?