The Risks of Shaving Your Head: Non-Appearance Issues

In summary: You don't need to worry about skin cancer from sun exposure if you're not getting sunburnt. You can measure your sensitivity to the sun by using a sunscreen or hat to determine how much you need to worry about sunburns and skin cancer.
Therian
I shaved my head to save time/money/energy but now I think I'll let my hair grow back because of the increased risk of skin cancer and sunburns and stuff. Are there any other problems (Like that) that shaving my head could cause? (I mean that aren't appearence-related)

Biology news on Phys.org
haha wow... that's what i call micromanaging life!

Sunburn is definitely a good one to consider. Many men forget that they're going bald, and forget to cover up in strong sunlight. Of course, the top of the head gets the most sun anyway, and it's skin which isn't used to being exposed.

I can't think of any other shaved-head related problems, off the top of my head. Pun very much intended.

But there's different skin types and those different skin types can have different sensitivities to the sun right? I mean my skin doesn't burn as easily as my sisters. Is there a way to measure my skin's sensitivity to the sun and as a result see how much I need to worry about sunburns and skin cancer, etc as a result of shaving my head?
Thanks

Therian said:
Is there a way to measure my skin's sensitivity to the sun and as a result see how much I need to worry about sunburns and skin cancer, etc as a result of shaving my head?
Thanks
Go about in the sun with your bald pate exposed.
There aren't, I think, any other methods to determine how sensitive your skin is..

Yes, people with fair skin, light hair, and blue eyes are at a higher risk.
Why don't you just wear sunscreen? I'm pretty sure they make hair products with sunscreen if other kinds do funny things to your hair.

Therian said:
I shaved my head to save time/money/energy but now I think I'll let my hair grow back because of the increased risk of skin cancer and sunburns and stuff.
You might wear a hat. I noticed they have some nice hats for cheap at Bi-Mart. You can also get good oilcloth (Indiana Jones type) hats on eBay.

Therian said:
But there's different skin types and those different skin types can have different sensitivities to the sun right? I mean my skin doesn't burn as easily as my sisters. Is there a way to measure my skin's sensitivity to the sun and as a result see how much I need to worry about sunburns and skin cancer, etc as a result of shaving my head?
Thanks

Well, you already have a fair idea of how sensitive your skin is, having compared it to your sisters.

Don't worry about skin cancer unless you're actually getting sunburnt. Just remember to cover up if it's going to be a bright day.

As a bald man, I can tell you that bumping your head hurts more without hair.

Also, could I have increased my risk for other things by leaving my head/scalp more exposed to the cold, wind, etc? (Depending on circumstances I mean) Or is the sun the other thing I really need to worry about?

thanks

Last edited:
People with bald heads tend to bump/hit/cut there heads more often.

Just wear a sunscreen on your head, nothing wrong with doing that.

Get a Melanin tattoo?

Therian said:
Also, could I have increased my risk for other things by leaving my head/scalp more exposed to the cold, wind, etc? (Depending on circumstances I mean) Or is the sun the other thing I really need to worry about?

thanks

Well if it's cold or windy, you might need to wear a hat.

Don't think there are other medical conditions you should worry about!

Wear a hat or sunscreen on your head (even if you're not bald, sunburn along the part in your hair can be painful too!). Even if you don't burn easily, you can be susceptible to skin cancer and still should wear sunscreen (something that people with dark skin sometimes need to be reminded about since they don't burn in the sun like fair-skinned people do). Other than that, the only other potential problem would be heat loss in the winter, but wearing a warm hat fixes that too.

If I don't have dark skin, (I don't have pale skin but I don't have dark skin, I have a medium skin tone) do I only need to worry about getting skin cancer (From sun exposure) if I get sunburned/will get sunburned?

If you're getting sunburnt then yes, as it means your skin is damaged!

Remember:

Sun leads to burns..
Burns leads to cancer..
Cancer leads to suffering..

I mean, if I don't/won't get sunburnt, do I still need to worry about getting skin cancer from sun exposure?

Could somebody use a (easy to get) skin sample from me to determine how easily it burns and stuff?

thanks

Yes, you need to consider cumulative sun exposure, not just sunburns. Fifteen minutes here and there adds up.
Cumulative sun exposure causes mainly basal cell and squamous cell skin cancer, while episodes of severe sunburns, usually before age 18, can cause melanoma later in life.
- http://my.webmd.com/content/article/65/72793.htm?z=4209_00000_8000_to_15

You should be able to determine yourself your skin, eye, and hair color, whether you have lots of freckles or moles, how easily you burn, and whether your family members have had skin cancer. If you have skin and it's exposed to sunlight or tanning beds, you're at some risk - but it's easy protect yourself. Wear sunscreen regularly, avoid getting burned, and use extra protection when you're in the sun for long periods at a time or during more harmful periods.

1. What are the potential health risks associated with shaving your head?

Shaving your head can increase your risk of sunburn and skin damage, as the scalp is exposed to the sun's harmful UV rays. It can also lead to ingrown hairs, infections, and irritation of the scalp.

2. Can shaving your head cause permanent damage to your hair follicles?

No, shaving your head does not damage the hair follicles. However, if you constantly shave your head, it may cause hair to grow back thinner or coarser.

3. Are there any special precautions that need to be taken when shaving your head?

It is important to use a clean razor and to shave in the direction of hair growth to prevent irritation and ingrown hairs. It is also recommended to moisturize the scalp after shaving and to wear sunscreen when going outside.

4. Can shaving your head lead to hair growth in other areas of the body?

No, shaving your head does not cause hair to grow in other areas of the body. Hair growth is determined by genetics and hormones, not by shaving.

5. Are there any benefits to shaving your head besides appearance?

Some people believe that shaving their head can improve scalp health and reduce dandruff. It can also save time and money by eliminating the need for hair products and styling. However, these benefits may vary from person to person.