Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Shaving for me is not quite so extensive

1. each and every time

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. 2-4

5 vote(s)
    23.8%
  3. < 10ish

4 vote(s)
    19.0%
  4. every once in a while, such as monthly or yearly or so

9 vote(s)
    42.9%
  5. never

3 vote(s)
    14.3%
  1. Aug 15, 2005 #1

DaveC426913

Gold Member

I went to buy disposable blades for my razor the other day.

<rant>I have to buy a new razor because no one stocks my 10-year-old razor anymore, thus no one stocks my razor's blades either. It worked perfectly. It didn't have neon lights, it didn't double as a vibrator, it didn't irradiate my bathroom with green Gillettium rays, it didn't have a button on the steering wheel and it didn't break the sound barrier. What it *did*, was shave my face.</rant>

Blades were 13 dollars for a pack of 6. Six!

I was stunned at the price. Nay, astonished. Verily, a blood vessel on my forehead spontaneously popped, knocking a can of jasmine-scented ultra-foaming, with extra-whitening alpha-proto-granule shaving cream off the shelf, clattering at my feet, and attracting the derision of a sales clerk who was clearly a frustrated librarian.

This caused me to question my shaving regimen. Now, granted I am a bearded, mustached man, and shaving for me is not quite so extensive. Also, being in the IT industry, personal hygiene is considered abberrant - if not downright frowned-upon - behaviour, thus, as I do not wish to be dragged out to the parking lot and have my glasses stomped upon by the other geeks, I try to blend in by shaving a mere once a week.

Nonetheless, my question stands valid: Can I really afford to ditch my blades every few shaves?

Thus, this poll. I need a wide-ish collection of (ideally male, though not essential - not that there's anything wrong with that) peers from which to glean a good sampling.

The prerequisites are:
    - you shave your face (other bits not interested)
    - you use a razor with disposable blades

Last edited: Aug 15, 2005
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 15, 2005 #2

brewnog

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

They're indeed expensive, although I find that decent blades last a lot longer than those on a disposable. I usually use an electric shaver, but if I wet shave every day then I find blades to last up to a month.

I also find that a pack of 2 replacement heads for my Philips electric toothbrush is £7, and that replacement heads for my Philishave Coolskin are about £13 each, there being three of them. That's £39 ($70?) for a new set of blades.

I suppose the answer is that if you don't want to pay out, just buy disposables.

4. Aug 15, 2005 #3

Astronuc

Staff: Mentor

I would vote never, but then I don't use a razor - not since 1981. :biggrin:

I couldn't resist. :wink:

5. Aug 15, 2005 #4
    I wet shave and only buy a pack of 8 blades every 6 months, because they are so over priced!

It is however possible to re-hone the replacement blades!

6. Aug 15, 2005 #5

brewnog

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Are you out of your tree man?!

I dismantled my Mach 3 once. It's impossible to even pick the damn blades up without shredding your fingers to ribbons!

7. Aug 15, 2005 #6
    You can do it without taking the blade head apart. But you have to be brave/stoopid to attempt what i tried. :uhh:

I saw a tv progabout 2 years ago, a guy invented a small battery operated honing station for his ravor blades, he was trying to get a backer and see if he could manufacture the product. Needless to say the backer didn`t take him on as the razor blade companies wouldn`t be too pleased with the product. All he did way press the blade into the dock and it caused a cylider to rotate at quite a high speed and it honed the blade.

Well, liking the idea that i never needed to buy blades again i decided to see if it actually worked. Not having his gadget i used a pillar drill set to the slowest rmp! i turned a bit to fit in the drill press. The bit was 4inch in diameter. i glued a thin strip of l leather onto it and set it in motion, and yes it was very scary but it did actually work. However i havn`t tried it since as i though it would be pushing my luck doing it twice.
    High speed drill + Razor blades = A whole world of pain!

8. Aug 15, 2005 #7

Astronuc

Staff: Mentor

9. Aug 15, 2005 #8
    Some while ago I stopped buying the replacement heads for my razor and opted for the disposable ones. Good trade for a while but all of a sudden the buggers got all wobbly after about 3 shaves and the $6 for a pkg of 10 became a waste. The local "dollar type" store has packs of ten for, you guessed it, a dollar. Good for 2 shaves max but then again...cost. I tried shaving ONCE with my Dad's razor, the insane kind that has a double edged razor blade inside, BIG mistake! Also, if anyone offers you a stiptic pen to stop the bleeding, run....just run.

10. Aug 15, 2005 #9

brewnog

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Blunt razor blades are still razor sharp, much much sharper than any other blades you'd have around. I reckon leather is the only way to get the fine edge you'd need.

The Dremel might be a good idea though, I've still not treated myself to one yet. Roll on my first paycheque!

11. Aug 15, 2005 #10

honestrosewater

Gold Member

Oops, sorry, I voted before reading the post. Subtract one from the 'every once in a while' option. FYI, I just change them whenever they are no longer sharp enough - I don't pay attention to the time period; I would guess once a month or so.

12. Aug 15, 2005 #11

BobG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

There's actually a couple of solutions to your problem:

Buy a roll of duct tape. Compared to cost, you get a lot more shaves out of a roll of duct tape than a package of razor blades.

Buy cheap, cheap disposable razors and a can of WD-40. Spray a small amount of WD-40 into your palm and rub into your face before applying shaving cream. Even the cheapest disposable razor blades will give a smooth comfortable shave. (The WD-40 makes it tough to get the stubble out of the blade, so you'll get less shaves per blade, so buy the really, really cheap blades).

13. Aug 15, 2005 #12

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

:rofl: That's it, just get your face waxed! :surprised

Wait, I think I need a few more of those for that comment...:surprised :surprised :surprised :surprised :surprised :surprised

Okay, that should do it.

Those razors with replaceable blades never seemed like much of a bargain to me. The blades didn't seem to last any longer than on the cheap disposable razors, were a pain to find the right kind, and their only selling point seems to be a lot of things that have nothing to do with shaving.

I do indulge in the ones with the nice little moisturizing strip on them. The razor always outlasts that little strip, but when I start a new razor, it makes for an almost luxurious experience (it's also good for when I'm traveling and don't feel like packing a heavy can of shaving gel...the little moisturizing strip makes it nice and confortable to use with just plain soap). Of course I'm just shaving legs every few days, not a face every single day or twice a day like you guys do, but I can usually get one to last a couple weeks (I get a new one when I notice that I have to shave the same spot three times to get the hair all off).

14. Aug 15, 2005 #13

BobG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You laugh, but if the US is ever attacked by chemical or biological weapons, I'll emerge from my three day hydration and air filtering plunger system with a clean shave while you ...... well, I guess you won't really care about shaving anymore, will you?

15. Aug 15, 2005 #14

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

:rofl: As long as you're wearing that contraption, I don't suppose having hairy legs will be such an unattractive concept anymore. :uhh:

16. Aug 15, 2005 #15

BobG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

:uhh: Well, I haven't exactly worked out the part where it's time to take the suit off :frown: . So far the options are slow :cry:, quick :surprised, or just duct myself somewhere where I won't be in the way.

edit: A closer look at the last photo reveals the secret. You're supposed to shave before you apply the duct tape! Doh!

Last edited: Aug 15, 2005
  17. Aug 15, 2005 #16
    I do the same as Rose does, though I shave differant parts I'm pretty sure. I just replace the blade when it doesn't seem to be working very well any more which is only maybe once a month usually. Ofcourse I only shave once every few days.

18. Aug 17, 2005 #17

Danger

Gold Member

Even though my whiskers are fairly tough, I get about 2 months out of a blade with daily use. When it starts to scrape, I turf it. I use a Gillette Sensor razor, but Rexall Drugs 6-for-$3.50 replacement blades (about half the price of real Sensor blades, but otherwise identical). Also, I use Barbasol shaving cream (with Aloe), which costs $2.49/can and lasts about 8 months.

19. Aug 17, 2005 #18

loseyourname

Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member

Once the blade starts cutting me, I'll replace it. I don't really keep track of how long that usually takes, but I'd estimate that a blade lasts me about a month or so. A couple of things, though: I never shave against the grain, I only shave every other day at the most, and I'm currently sporting a moustache, goatee, and decently sized sideburns, so I'm not shaving the whole face.

20. Aug 17, 2005 #19
    I prob get about five shaves out of a razor, i used to use them for 10+ shaves but i found my skin got very itchy and irratable, whereas now i shave everyday and my skin has been super smooth.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?