Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

She is a jewel

1. Feb 5, 2004 #1

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Diamond memories of the dead

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/berkshire/3389493.stm

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 5, 2004 #2
    I don't think it's a bad idea. What I think is morbid is having someone slowly rot in a grave.

4. Feb 5, 2004 #3
    Why is that bad?
    It is one of the few things that humans can do to actually benefit the Earth (unless, of course, you place the person in a airtight, stainless steel, Ziploc® casket that will rob mother nature of the one benefit we have to offer her).

5. Feb 5, 2004 #4
    I never said it was bad, just not the way I'd want to be. Do you really think it adds much to the earth? Anyway, I'd rather have my ashes spread over the ocean or something, so it's really the same difference.

6. Feb 5, 2004 #5
    I have one word for you about human remains...barbeque!

7. Feb 5, 2004 #6

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Remind me not to invite you to any funerals.

Zero; PF mentor, guitar player, ambulance chaser...fork in hand.

8. Feb 5, 2004 #7

Tsu

Gold Member

Mine is...COMPOST!
    (Which, I guess, means, I agree with one_raven. 'Course, a diamond is ALWAYS nice... )

9. Feb 5, 2004 #8

Evo

Staff: Mentor

The diamond thing is a neat tribute.

Personally I want a Tibetan Sky burial. I saw it on a Discovery Channel special about Tibet. Preferable to rotting or being incinerated.

Plus that sound those monks make is so cool!

10. Feb 5, 2004 #9
    What is that?

11. Feb 5, 2004 #10
    Thats quite kewl eh???

I new i was precious.

<Lame joke of the day>

So doesn't that mean that we have now found the key to immortality coz "Diamonds are forever" aren't they??

12. Feb 5, 2004 #11
    It is sorta a problem that they don't rot fast enough, cemetaries have space limits too, vertical (stacking) limits....but I prefer the burial method, for myself, "choice"...for everyone else...

13. Feb 5, 2004 #12
    they're not forever if you put them in the oven.

14. Feb 5, 2004 #13

Njorl

Science Advisor

"Now when I die now don't think I'm a nut
    Don't want no fancy funeral just one like old King Tut " - Steve Martin

Njorl

15. Feb 5, 2004 #14
    Tsunami, hey cool... We're on the same page.. I want to be composted too! Ever read the Humanure Handbook?

But the diamond thing is verry interesting. Sounds like a nice second option for me...

16. Feb 5, 2004 #15

Monique

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I want to become a tree, I just decided an oak would be nice..

17. Feb 5, 2004 #16

Njorl

Science Advisor

I want to be stuffed and put on display at the Smithsonian. They could pose me sitting at a PC in a cubicle, with a half-dozen empty diet Coke bottles laying around. In the future groups of schoolchildren could come by and gawk at me, wondering how I could live in such primitive conditions.

Njorl

18. Feb 5, 2004 #17

Monique

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

oh! oh! how about those plasticifisized :wink: people in musea?

19. Feb 5, 2004 #18

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Do you mean like this?

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/ap/corpse_artist

I think I'd rather be buried and rot away slowly!

Really the diamond idea is pretty neat. I don't see anything morbid about that. Anyway, Tsunami has agree that if I go first she will have my head frozen so that she can keep it in the freezer. That way she can still talk to me...and I can watch out for freezer burn on the other meats as well.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2004
  20. Feb 5, 2004 #19

LURCH

Science Advisor

That has always been my desire. I wanted my remains to be placed in a shallow grave with no vault and no casket. Then a tree would be planted just above my body. The idea was that the roots of the tree will tunnel through my corpse and absorb me as a nutrient source. I would be lifted up into the tree and become a part of its body. The ideal situation would be if children would occasionally come to climb that tree and play among its branches.

It truly urks me that this is illegal. The law in the U.S. demands that you must be placed in a casket, sealed inside an airtight vault. IOW, it is mandatory that you become non-biodegradable waste.

So I guess I'll go with my second favorite choice; donating whatever organs some living person might find useful, and the remainder of my cadaver to be used for medical research.

21. Feb 5, 2004 #20
    I guess a diamond of a loved one is much more valuable than a corpse :smile:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?