Is my Shear and Moment Diagram for a Beam Correct?

In summary, a shear and moment diagram is a graphical representation of internal forces and moments on a structural member. They are important in structural analysis as they provide a visual understanding of how a member will behave under different loading conditions. To draw a shear and moment diagram, reactions and internal forces must be calculated and then plotted on a graph. Positive and negative values on the diagram represent forces and moments acting in the same or opposite directions. These diagrams also help in determining the strength of a structural member by identifying critical points where forces are highest.
TyErd

Homework Statement

I've attached my sfd and bmd for a beam, i just need someone to tell me if its right.
the 15kN on the left side is a reaction force.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

i've attached my working

Attachments

• scan0001.jpg
    scan0001.jpg
    6.3 KB · Views: 408
  • scan0002.jpg
    scan0002.jpg
    14.2 KB · Views: 418
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Please state the exact problem with the loading condition, beam length, and end support conditions.

1. What is a shear and moment diagram?

A shear and moment diagram is a graphical representation of the internal forces and moments acting on a structural member, such as a beam or column. It shows the variation of shear force and bending moment along the length of the member.

2. Why are shear and moment diagrams important in structural analysis?

Shear and moment diagrams are important because they provide a visual understanding of how a structural member will behave under different loading conditions. This information is crucial for designing safe and efficient structures.

3. How do you draw a shear and moment diagram?

To draw a shear and moment diagram, you first need to calculate the reactions and internal forces at different points along the member. Then, plot these values on a graph with the shear force on the vertical axis and the bending moment on the horizontal axis. Finally, draw the shape of the diagram by connecting the points with straight lines.

4. What do positive and negative values on a shear and moment diagram represent?

Positive values on a shear and moment diagram indicate that the forces and moments act in the same direction, while negative values indicate opposite directions. For example, a positive shear force means that the forces on either side of the section are pushing in the same direction, while a negative bending moment means that the top and bottom of the section are bending in opposite directions.

5. How do shear and moment diagrams help in determining the strength of a structural member?

Shear and moment diagrams provide information about the maximum values of shear force and bending moment that a structural member can withstand before failure. By analyzing the diagrams, engineers can determine the critical points where these forces are highest and design the member accordingly to ensure its strength and stability.