1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Shear and moment diagrams.

1. Aug 24, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I need to create N-, M-, V- and T- diagrams for a frame beam. (see picture attached)
    The beam is 1m. The force on top is 1200N.

2. Relevant equations
    /

3. The attempt at a solution
    I started with the shear diagram. But i was having difficulties with the two normal-forces on the bottom. Is it correct to say that the one on the left is 400N and the one on the right 800N?

I think i'm starting to understand how i can make a shear diagram with a distributed load, but it's hard when i can only try to learn from internet articles. I wanted to try and make a shear diagram with Maple.. but i don't know how, so i made it with paint. I think my first attempt is wrong because its assumed that both normal-forces are equal.

I had some difficulties trying to explain my problem in english, i hope you understand me!

Thanks a lot in advance,

Jonas

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 24, 2011 #2

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Before you dive into constructing the shear and moment diagrams, make sure the beam is in equilibrium. The sketches attached to the OP and the problem description are incomplete. Is the beam simply supported? Is the beam a cantilever fixed at the right end? Are the two point loads reactions? You should write the equations of static equilibrium to properly determine the support reactions, given the support conditions.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook