How Do You Calculate Shear Flow in a Beam with Longitudinal Bolts?

In summary, the conversation is about calculating longitudinal shear on bolts and the confusion surrounding taking into consideration the top or bottom bolts and the number of bolts to consider. The formula for shear flow is discussed as well as the importance of taking into account the spacing and number of bolts in the calculation.
aahas3
Im having difficulty figuring this question as their are not enough notes or guides on longitudinal shear on bolts.

Shear flow(q/s) = VQ/I
Yc = 100

I = 3.65 X 10^8 MM^4
Q = Ax Y'
Q = 150 X 25 X 87.5 = 3281250 As analysing shear in the longitudinal which means taken consideration of either top or bottom. However, if not symmetrical would i have to consider both to and bottom in the equation for the maximum shear of the bolt or choose and side as a control and then compare.

Based on these results and knowing spacing is s =90 mm and that 2 bolts should be considered, not sure about this bit of it as it occurs longitudinal do i take it being 3 bolts that go parallel to the box or the bolts perpendicular to the face ie 2 bolts ?.

250 shear per bolt so q = 500

500 / 90 = V* 3281250/ I
V = 617.91 however the answer in the book (refer to bottom of the question sheet) with no real guide of solution.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2013-08-09 at 10.44.01 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2013-08-09 at 10.44.01 AM.png
    29.9 KB · Views: 763
Physics news on Phys.org
Consider top. VQ/I gives you the shear force per unit length of beam. If s is the spacing of bolts, then VQs/I gives the shear force per bolt (group). In this case there are two bolts per group because, when you calculate Q, it refers to an area above the neutral axis, encompassing two bolts (per 50 mm) at the same level.

Sorry. I made a mistake in #2. VQb/I gives you the shear force per unit length of beam, as you could well verify from the units. Then VQbs/I gives the shear force per bolt (group)

1. What is shear flow in beams?

Shear flow in beams refers to the distribution of shear stresses throughout the cross-section of a beam. It is caused by the application of external loads and can lead to shear deformation and failure in the beam.

2. How is shear flow calculated?

Shear flow is calculated by dividing the shear force at a specific location by the area of the cross-section at that location. This results in a shear stress value that varies along the length of the beam.

3. What factors affect shear flow in beams?

The magnitude and distribution of external loads, the shape and size of the beam, and the material properties of the beam all affect shear flow. Additionally, the presence of holes or cutouts in the beam can also impact shear flow.

4. What are the consequences of high shear flow in beams?

High shear flow can cause shear failure in the beam, which can lead to structural collapse. It can also result in excessive deflection, which can affect the overall stability and performance of the structure.

5. How can shear flow be controlled in beams?

Shear flow can be controlled by designing the beam with appropriate cross-sectional dimensions and reinforcement, as well as distributing the external loads evenly across the beam. Additionally, using materials with high shear strength can also help control shear flow.