Shear Force Diagram: 45N at 0.6m from B vs. 0.5m from D - Homework Question

In summary, the question is about the placement of a 45N force on a shear force diagram. The author initially placed the force at 0.6m from B, but the correct placement should be at 0.5m from D. The reason for this is that in order for equilibrium to be satisfied, the force and moment required on the handle at its point of attachment, D, must be taken into account. Therefore, the beam only feels the forces and moments at point D, which is why the 45N should be placed at 0.5m from D on the shear force diagram.
chetzread

Homework Statement

In this question , the 45N is acting at 0.6m from B ...
why the author put the 45N forces at D in the shear force diagram ? Is it wrong ?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

IMO , the 45N should be put at 0.5m from D . Correct me if i am wrong

Attachments

• IMG_20161018_110628.jpg
    IMG_20161018_110628.jpg
    22 KB · Views: 364
Physics news on Phys.org
chetzread said:
In this question , the 45N is acting at 0.6m from B .
Looks to me that it is 0.6m from D and 0.9m from B.

haruspex said:
Looks to me that it is 0.6m from D and 0.9m from B.
sorry , i mean the 45N is acting at 0.6m from D .
Why , in the diagram , the author' bring down' the graph by 45kN at point D ? the graph should go down by 45kN at E ( which is 0.6m from D ) , right ?

It may help to draw a free-body diagram of just the "handle" attached at D. For equilibrium to be satisfied in the handle, what is the force and moment required to act on the handle at the point where it connects to the beam? Once you determine this, recall that equal and opposite reactions must act on the beam from the handle.

chetzread said:
sorry , i mean the 45N is acting at 0.6m from D .
Why , in the diagram , the author' bring down' the graph by 45kN at point D ? the graph should go down by 45kN at E ( which is 0.6m from D ) , right ?
Same issue as in the other thread. The beam feels the forces and moments at the point of attachment, D.

Likes chetzread

1. What is a shear force diagram?

A shear force diagram is a graphical representation of the shear forces acting on a structure or beam at various points along its length. It shows the magnitude and direction of these forces, which are caused by external loads applied to the structure.

2. How is shear force calculated?

Shear force is calculated by taking the sum of all the external forces acting on a structure or beam, and then finding the change in these forces at each point along the length of the structure. This change in forces is represented by the slope of the shear force diagram.

3. What does the 45N at 0.6m from B represent in this shear force diagram?

The 45N at 0.6m from B represents the shear force acting on the structure or beam at a distance of 0.6m from point B. This force has a magnitude of 45N and is acting in a specific direction, as shown by the arrow on the shear force diagram.

4. How is the shear force diagram affected by the distance from point B and D?

The shear force diagram is affected by the distance from point B and D in that the shear forces will change in magnitude and direction at each point along the length of the structure. As the distance from point B and D changes, the slope of the shear force diagram will also change.

5. How is the shear force diagram used in structural analysis?

The shear force diagram is an important tool in structural analysis as it helps engineers and designers understand how external forces are distributed throughout a structure. It can also be used to identify areas of high shear stress and to determine the overall stability and strength of a structure.