1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Shear force

1. Nov 18, 2007 #1
    i need to know the force that is required to cut a .010 inch thick teflon sheet (sort of like a hole puncher cutting out circular holes of paper) into 20 mm diameter circles. how would i even go about trying to figure this out?

im trying to design a mechanism for a class that will cut these out, and im just wondering how much force is going to be needed to cut it out.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 19, 2007 #2

stewartcs

Science Advisor

Try Distortion Energy theory. It may give you some insight, although I've never applied it to hole punches.

4. Nov 19, 2007 #3

Chris Hillman

Science Advisor

See [post=1510929]this post[/post] for a similar recent question and a homework hint.

5. Nov 19, 2007 #4
    thanks, ill see if i can do anything with it. but my problem is sort of backwards. i need to know the allowable shear stress for teflon, so if anyone knows it off the top of their head... :P

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?