1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Shear modulus

1. Nov 2, 2006 #1
    A large sponge has forces of magnitude 17 N applied in opposite directions to two opposite faces of area 43 cm2 (see the figure below ). The thickness of the sponge (L is ")3 cm. The deformation angle (g is ")8.4°. (a) What is delta x? (b) What is the shear modulus of the sponge?

delta x = 4.43 mm

stress = 17N/430mm = .03953N/mm^2
    strain = delta L/L, 4.43/30= .1476

shear modulus = stress/strain
    =.03953/.1476=.28 Pa???

what did I do wrong?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 2, 2006 #2

PhanthomJay

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I see for one thing that you have an incorrect conversion factor: 43 cm^2 = 4300mm^2. Beyond that, with my limited understanding of shear deformation (I used to understand it once 40 years ago), and my disdain for Pascals (we use psi in the States!), the Shear Modulus seems very low, even for a sponge.. Are you sure of the magnitude of the deformation angle? You should probably repost in the Engineering forum, if no further help is forthcoming here.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?