Shear Moment Diagram: Find & Fix 0.06 kip*ft Error

In summary, the problem involves finding the shear and moment diagrams using the differential equations provided. The initial attempt resulted in a value of 0.06 kip*ft at the end of the beam, which the student believes may be incorrect. They are familiar with the method being used but suggest trying it again using the provided differential equations for a more thorough solution.
stinlin

Homework Statement

Find the shear and moment diagram.

Homework Equations

dV/dt = -w(x)

dM/dt = V(x)

The Attempt at a Solution

See attached.

My problem is that I'm getting 0.06 kip*ft at the end of the beam, and I don't think that's right.

Attachments

• Picture 17.jpg
    Picture 17.jpg
    37.1 KB · Views: 428
  • Picture 16.jpg
    Picture 16.jpg
    42.3 KB · Views: 483
Physics news on Phys.org
Can you explain you're work. The images don't show up too well, and i don't see a lot of work explaining the graphs. I'm familiar with the method you're using, guess you could call it a short-cut.

Also you can try going through the problem again using the differential equations that you provided. It's a little more work with getting the boundary conditions, but you should get the same answer.

Nothing to add that teknodude didn't already say, but I suggest you use a different bending moment sign convention, since a minority of people sketch bending moment/shear force diagrams like this. But then again, if you were explicitly taught to do it like that, no problemo.

1. What is a shear moment diagram?

A shear moment diagram is a graphical representation of the internal forces and moments in a structural element, such as a beam, at various points along its length.

2. Why do I need to find and fix a 0.06 kip*ft error on my shear moment diagram?

It is important to find and fix errors on a shear moment diagram because these errors can affect the accuracy and integrity of the structural analysis and design. Even small errors can result in significant differences in the final results.

3. How do I find a 0.06 kip*ft error on my shear moment diagram?

To find a 0.06 kip*ft error on your shear moment diagram, you will need to carefully review your calculations and drawings. Check for any mistakes in units conversions, mathematical errors, and incorrect assumptions.

4. How do I fix a 0.06 kip*ft error on my shear moment diagram?

If you have identified a 0.06 kip*ft error on your shear moment diagram, you will need to go back and correct the mistake in your calculations. It is important to carefully double-check your work after making any changes to ensure the error has been fixed.

5. What are some common causes of a 0.06 kip*ft error on a shear moment diagram?

There are many potential causes of a 0.06 kip*ft error on a shear moment diagram, such as using the wrong units, forgetting to include all the necessary forces and moments, or making a mathematical mistake. It is important to carefully review all steps in your calculations to identify and fix any errors.