Calculating Shear Strain in 3 Dimensions

In summary, the webpage provides a tutorial on finding shear strain in three dimensions by dividing the change in length by the original length. It also explains how to combine strains from the x and y axes to find functions of tan, and how to use the approximation of small angles to show that the strains are equivalent to the angle itself. The page also addresses a common confusion about whether the strain should be calculated using the change in length over the original length or the orthogonal length, clarifying that for small angles, they are equivalent.
v_pino
http://folk.ntnu.no/stoylen/strainrate/mathemathics/

This page shows how to find shear strain in three dimensions.

I understand how they found the shear strains as x and y components from dividing the change in length by the original length.

But from the line "From the figure, it is also evident that..." I cannot understand how they combined the strains from the x and y axes to find the functions of tan.

Also, how after I have found the functions of tan, how do I use approximation of small angles to find that the strains actually simply equals the angle itself? I have seen some other websites using sin instead of tan.

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
The tangent is the rise over the run: from the figure, [itex]\frac{\Delta x}{y}[/itex].

For small angles, [itex]\alpha\simeq\tan \alpha\simeq\sin\alpha[/itex]. Is this where you got stuck, or is it in the derivation of this expression?

I thought strain should be the change in length over original length. So shouldn't the strain along the x-axis be Delta-x over X instead of Delta-x over Y?

As discussed right under that image, the normal strain is the change in length divided by the original length. The shear strain can be defined as either the angular change of an originally right angle (i.e., [itex]\alpha[/itex]) or as the change in length divided by the orthogonal length (i.e., [itex]\frac{\Delta x}{y}[/itex]). For small angles, it's the same thing.

1. What is shear strain in 3 dimensions?

Shear strain in 3 dimensions is a measure of the deformation or distortion that occurs in a material when a shear force is applied to it in three different directions.

2. How is shear strain calculated in 3 dimensions?

Shear strain in 3 dimensions is calculated by dividing the change in length or displacement of the material in the direction of the applied shear force by the original length of the material.

3. What are the units of shear strain in 3 dimensions?

The units of shear strain in 3 dimensions are dimensionless, as it is a ratio of two lengths.

4. What is the difference between shear strain and shear stress?

Shear strain is a measure of the deformation or distortion that occurs in a material, while shear stress is a measure of the force per unit area that is applied to the material to cause this deformation. Shear strain is a result of shear stress.

5. How is shear strain in 3 dimensions important in material testing?

Shear strain in 3 dimensions is an important measure in material testing as it can help determine the material's ability to withstand shear forces and its overall strength and stiffness. It is also used in the design and analysis of structures and materials to ensure their stability and performance under different loading conditions.