Can We Lift a Giant Tank with D-Bolts? Analyzing Shear Stress on Sheet Metal

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of lifting a giant tank made of corrugated sheet metal using D-bolts and cables attached to a crane. The weight of the tank is 3000lbs and the placement of the bolts and their diameter are mentioned as factors to consider. The conversation also mentions seeking a mathematical model to evaluate potential failure modes.
CanadaBoy89
Hey so I am currently trying to calculate whether or not we can lift a giant tank made of corrugated sheet metal. I am looking for conceptual answers here, but will give some details.

A potential plan is to place a number of D-bolts (let's say 8 for now) through holes near the top of the sheet metal in order to lift the tank in the air using cables attached to a crane. The holes are a distance x from the top of the sheet metal, and the tank weighs 3000lbs. Basically, we need to find out if the sheet metal will tear due to shear stress, resulting in the need for more bolts.

Any help will be appreciated, just talk in terms of variables (thickness, E, diameter of hole, etc) and I will do the calculations myself. I'm simply drawing blanks as to how to approach this.

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
First, make a list of all the different ways in which failure could take place, including bolt shear, but other things as well. For each failure mode, seek for a mathematical model that will help you to evaluate it.

1. What is shear stress due to bolt?

Shear stress due to bolt is the force per unit area that is applied parallel to the cross-sectional area of a bolt. It is the result of the clamping force applied by the bolt to hold two or more parts together.

2. How is shear stress due to bolt calculated?

Shear stress due to bolt can be calculated by dividing the clamping force applied by the bolt by the cross-sectional area of the bolt. This can be represented by the equation: τ = F/A, where τ is the shear stress, F is the clamping force, and A is the cross-sectional area of the bolt.

3. What factors affect shear stress due to bolt?

There are several factors that can affect shear stress due to bolt, including the material and diameter of the bolt, the type of joint being connected, the amount of preload on the bolt, and the presence of any external loads or vibrations.

4. How does shear stress due to bolt impact the strength of a joint?

Shear stress due to bolt can significantly impact the strength of a joint. If the shear stress is too high, it can cause the bolt to fail or the joint to become loose, leading to potential structural failures. Therefore, it is important to carefully calculate and control the shear stress in bolted joints.

5. How can shear stress due to bolt be reduced?

There are several ways to reduce shear stress due to bolt, such as increasing the diameter of the bolt, using a higher strength material for the bolt, properly torquing the bolt to achieve the desired preload, and using additional reinforcement such as washers or locking mechanisms. It is also important to carefully design the joint to distribute the load evenly across multiple bolts.