Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Shear stress eqn

1. Jul 26, 2006 #1
    http://www.savefiles.net/d/ieiwoixnjfw.html [Broken]

Can anybody pls write for me the shear stress eqn using singularities or heaviside function in which i have attach the in the file above

pls help

thanx

Last edited by a moderator: May 2, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Jul 26, 2006 #2
    This is the homework help, not the do your homework forum. :grumpy:

4. Jul 27, 2006 #3

Pyrrhus

Homework Helper

Looks like standard procedure to me?, on what exactly are you stuck?

5. Jul 28, 2006 #4
    the equation for the middle part where the joint forces between the upper and lower force.Should i write 2q<x-l>^0 or any others??

6. Jul 28, 2006 #5
    Taking downward direction as a positive direction, the load density function should be

[tex]q(x)=q_{0}-q_{0}(x-l)^0-q_{0}(x-l)^0=q_{0}-2q_{0}(x-l)^0[/tex]

Note that the [tex]q_{0}[/tex] is contributed by the upper distributed force, the first [tex]q_{0}(x-l)^0[/tex] is to diminish the effect of [tex]q_{0}[/tex] at position along the beam [tex]x=l[/tex] while the second [tex]q_{0}(x-l)^0[/tex] is the lower distributed force that acting in an upward direction, which means the negative direction here by convention.

Then, proceed to find [tex]V(x)[/tex] and [tex]M(x)[/tex]. Finally, draw the shear and moment diagrams.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2006
  7. Jul 28, 2006 #6
    ok.........thanx

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook