What is the Relationship Between Shear Stress and Density for Fluids?

In summary, the conversation includes a discussion about an empirically-derived equation for shear stress of a fluid on a surface, the use of this equation to find an expression for density by taking the derivative of density with respect to distance, and various attempts and methods to find a relationship between density and stress.
womfalcs3

Homework Statement

I have an empirically-derived equation for the shear stress of a fluid on a surface, given by the equation below.

I am supposed to take the derivative of density with respect to distance, and I must use this equation to find an expression for density.

Delta = Boundary layer thickness.
Nu = Kinematic Viscosity
u = Velocity
Rho = Density

Homework Equations

fa0euu.jpg

mr4nbl.jpg

The Attempt at a Solution

I know the definition of shear stress for fluids (The second equation above). I've tried to equate it to the empirical formula, knowing that dynamic viscosity, mu, is just density*kinematic viscosity.

The density variables cancel though.

I can't have a tau term in the density expression, so I can't just algebraically manipulate the first equation to equal density.

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't know anything about this topic, but it appears you have
sheer stress = a(b/u)^4 = c*du/dy and want to find the formula relating u and y.
I'm using a, b, c to save wear and tear on the keyboard.
If so, you can write it as a/c*b^.25*dy = u^.25*du
Integration yields a/c*b^.25*y = u^1.25 + D

Thanks, but that's not what I'm looking for.

I need to take the derivative of density with respect to y, and I need to use the shear stress to take the derivative. So I need to find a relationship between density and stress.

I've tried using the Newtonian definition suggested by Stokes. I tried using Reynolds Number to relate density and velocity, so that I can use the velocity relation to find an expression of density in terms of shear stress, but no luck.

1. What is shear stress for fluids?

Shear stress for fluids is the force per unit area that is applied tangentially to the surface of a fluid. It is a measure of the resistance of the fluid to deformation or flow.

2. How is shear stress calculated?

Shear stress is calculated by dividing the force applied tangentially to the surface of the fluid by the area over which the force is applied. It is typically measured in units of newtons per square meter (N/m^2) or pascals (Pa).

3. What factors affect shear stress in fluids?

Some factors that can affect shear stress in fluids include viscosity (the resistance of a fluid to flow), flow rate, and surface roughness. The type of fluid and its temperature can also impact shear stress.

4. How is shear stress different from normal stress?

Shear stress and normal stress are both types of stress that can act on a material. Shear stress is caused by forces that act parallel to the surface of the material, while normal stress is caused by forces that act perpendicular to the surface. Shear stress can result in deformation or flow, while normal stress can cause compression or tension.

5. What are some real-world applications of shear stress in fluids?

Shear stress in fluids is important in many practical applications, such as in the design of pipes and channels for fluid flow, the development of lubricants for reducing friction in mechanical systems, and the study of blood flow in the human body. It is also a key factor in the performance of aircraft and other vehicles that move through air or water.