1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Shear Stress for Fluids

1. Feb 26, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I have an empirically-derived equation for the shear stress of a fluid on a surface, given by the equation below.

I am supposed to take the derivative of density with respect to distance, and I must use this equation to find an expression for density.

Delta = Boundary layer thickness.
    Nu = Kinematic Viscosity
    u = Velocity
    Rho = Density

2. Relevant equations

fa0euu.jpg

mr4nbl.jpg

3. The attempt at a solution

I know the definition of shear stress for fluids (The second equation above). I've tried to equate it to the empirical formula, knowing that dynamic viscosity, mu, is just density*kinematic viscosity.

The density variables cancel though.

I can't have a tau term in the density expression, so I can't just algebraically manipulate the first equation to equal density.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 26, 2009 #2

Delphi51

Homework Helper

I don't know anything about this topic, but it appears you have
    sheer stress = a(b/u)^4 = c*du/dy and want to find the formula relating u and y.
    I'm using a, b, c to save wear and tear on the keyboard.
    If so, you can write it as a/c*b^.25*dy = u^.25*du
    Integration yields a/c*b^.25*y = u^1.25 + D

4. Feb 26, 2009 #3
    Thanks, but that's not what I'm looking for.

I need to take the derivative of density with respect to y, and I need to use the shear stress to take the derivative. So I need to find a relationship between density and stress.

I've tried using the Newtonian definition suggested by Stokes. I tried using Reynolds Number to relate density and velocity, so that I can use the velocity relation to find an expression of density in terms of shear stress, but no luck.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook