Shear stress in a thin profile

In summary, the conversation is about calculating the shear stress in a figure with given dimensions and a shear force of 39802.01 N. The center of the construction is at 157.95 mm from the bottom, and the moment of inertia is 147258143.9 mm4. The equations used are Tau = (V*S)/(b*I) and Si = Ai*zi. The poster has ordered the different parts of the figure and calculated Tau1 and Tau2, but has been told that their calculations are incorrect. They have asked for help with their calculations and provided additional information about the loading of the object.
PC Principal

Homework Statement

Problem.PNG

Hello guys, I have to calculate the shear stress in this figure.
The sizes are: a = 250mm, b = 100mm, c = 250mm, d = 150mm and t = 10mm.
The shear force working on it is Vcd = 39802.01 N (calculated before)
The center of the construction Nc is at 157.95 mm (from the bottom). (calculated before)
The moment of inertia (I don't know if this is the correct english term) I = 147258143.9 mm4. (calculated before)

The things I already calculated have been checked and approved.
The calculating of Tau1 is also correct but after that one it goes wrong...

Homework Equations

Taui =(V*Si)/(b*I)
Si = Ai * zi, in which z is the distance from the center of gravity of that part till the center Nc.

The Attempt at a Solution

I am not english from origin so my answer isn't in english but because it's math/physics you'll probably understand :). Otherwise I'll explain what I did.

I ordered the different parts as followed: 1 is the vertical top part. 2 is the large horizontal part (with length a). 3 are the two vertical pieces and 4 are the horizontal pieces at the bottom.

Tau1 = (V*S1)/(b*I) = (39802.01*S1)/(10 * I)
A1 = 150*10 = 1500 mm2
z1 = 400 - Nc - 0.5*150 = 167 mm
S1 = 1500*167 = 250568 mm3 (numbers may differ because I rounded some numbers)
Tau1 = 6.77 N/mm2

Tau2 in the middle of the horizontal part is half of Tau1. So we start at:
Tau2 = 1/2 * 6.77 N/mm2 = 3.39 N/mm2

So from here on I am going to make some mistakes.

Tau2 at the end of the horizontal part:
Tau2= (V*S2)/(b*I) = (39802.01*S2)/(10 * I)
A2 = 150*10+250*10 = 4000 mm2
N1,2 = (d*t*0.5d+250*t*d)/(d*t+a*t) = 121.88 mm (from the top)
z2 = 400 - Nc - N1,2 = 120 mm (rounded)
S2 = 480681 mm3 (numbers may differ because I rounded some numbers)
Tau2 = (V*S2)/(b*I*4)
I added the 4 because the shear force splits in 2 ways and the area I calculated has to be divided in 2.
Tau2 = 3.25 N/mm2

Apparantly my Tau2 should be twice as high. I got calculations for part 3 too but you can guess, those are also wrong. Is there somebody who can help me with this?

Thanks in advance!

PS: sorry if I am a bit unclear with my notations

Attachments

• 20151130_225124.jpg
    20151130_225124.jpg
    28.2 KB · Views: 445
Physics news on Phys.org
I forgot to add my second page.

My paperwork might be a bit unreadable so that's why I started to write it out. If you can read it however all my work is shown on those 2 handwritten pages.

Attachments

• 20151130_221056.jpg
    20151130_221056.jpg
    24.8 KB · Views: 414
Please put yourself in our place. We have no idea what the loading on this object is. Please describe the loading.

Chestermiller said:
Please put yourself in our place. We have no idea what the loading on this object is. Please describe the loading.

Sorry I totally forgot haha. The thing you are looking at is a cross section of a beam which has a shear force in it. The loading is the shear force which works downwards with 39.80201 kN or 39802.01 N.
The load is centered so it works downwards in the middle (but it doesn't change in the formula so you can assume it constant at 39.8 kN)
Does this make it better understandable?

Last edited:
PC Principal said:
Sorry I totally forgot haha. The thing you are looking at is a cross section of a beam which has a shear force in it. The loading is the shear force which works downwards with 39.80201 kN or 39802.01 N.
The load is centered so it works downwards in the middle (but it doesn't change in the formula so you can assume it constant at 39.8 kN)
Does this make it better understandable?
Yes. It is much more understandable now. But I still must be missing something. Shouldn't the shear stress simply just be the shear force divided by the cross sectional area of the beam?

Chet

PC Principal said:

Homework Statement

View attachment 92670
Hello guys, I have to calculate the shear stress in this figure.
The sizes are: a = 250mm, b = 100mm, c = 250mm, d = 150mm and t = 10mm.
The shear force working on it is Vcd = 39802.01 N (calculated before)
The center of the construction Nc is at 157.95 mm (from the bottom). (calculated before)
The moment of inertia (I don't know if this is the correct english term) I = 147258143.9 mm4. (calculated before)

The things I already calculated have been checked and approved.
The calculating of Tau1 is also correct but after that one it goes wrong...

Homework Equations

Taui =(V*Si)/(b*I)
Si = Ai * zi, in which z is the distance from the center of gravity of that part till the center Nc.

The Attempt at a Solution

I am not english from origin so my answer isn't in english but because it's math/physics you'll probably understand :). Otherwise I'll explain what I did.

I ordered the different parts as followed: 1 is the vertical top part. 2 is the large horizontal part (with length a). 3 are the two vertical pieces and 4 are the horizontal pieces at the bottom.

Tau1 = (V*S1)/(b*I) = (39802.01*S1)/(10 * I)
A1 = 150*10 = 1500 mm2
z1 = 400 - Nc - 0.5*150 = 167 mm
S1 = 1500*167 = 250568 mm3 (numbers may differ because I rounded some numbers)
Tau1 = 6.77 N/mm2

Tau2 in the middle of the horizontal part is half of Tau1. So we start at:
Tau2 = 1/2 * 6.77 N/mm2 = 3.39 N/mm2

So from here on I am going to make some mistakes.

Tau2 at the end of the horizontal part:
Tau2= (V*S2)/(b*I) = (39802.01*S2)/(10 * I)
A2 = 150*10+250*10 = 4000 mm2
N1,2 = (d*t*0.5d+250*t*d)/(d*t+a*t) = 121.88 mm (from the top)
z2 = 400 - Nc - N1,2 = 120 mm (rounded)
S2 = 480681 mm3 (numbers may differ because I rounded some numbers)
Tau2 = (V*S2)/(b*I*4)
I added the 4 because the shear force splits in 2 ways and the area I calculated has to be divided in 2.
Tau2 = 3.25 N/mm2

Apparantly my Tau2 should be twice as high. I got calculations for part 3 too but you can guess, those are also wrong. Is there somebody who can help me with this?

Thanks in advance!

PS: sorry if I am a bit unclear with my notations

As far as calculating τ2, the way you have set up the calculation is incorrect. Using the formula τ = VS / (I b) allows you to calculate the shear stress for a certain distance y above the centroid of the section. You can't split one wide horizontal member into smaller pieces.

For your calculation of τ2, b = 250 mm and S is the first moment for the whole 250 x 10 mm piece.

To obtain more accurate shear stress calculations in a wide horizontal piece, the shear flow method is used when analyzing complicated thin-walled sections like this one.

Chestermiller said:
Yes. It is much more understandable now. But I still must be missing something. Shouldn't the shear stress simply just be the shear force divided by the cross sectional area of the beam?

Chet
No, that only gives an "average" shear stress. It is a very inaccurate method for calculating the shear stress for thin-walled beams composed of a lot of little pieces parts.

SteamKing said:
No, that only gives an "average" shear stress. It is a very inaccurate method for calculating the shear stress for thin-walled beams composed of a lot of little pieces parts.
Thanks SK. I am totally unfamiliar with all this, but it looks like it is now in your competent hands.

Chet

SteamKing said:
As far as calculating τ2, the way you have set up the calculation is incorrect. Using the formula τ = VS / (I b) allows you to calculate the shear stress for a certain distance y above the centroid of the section. You can't split one wide horizontal member into smaller pieces.

For your calculation of τ2, b = 250 mm and S is the first moment for the whole 250 x 10 mm piece.
Thanks SteamKing!
I'll try to solve it, if I get the right answers I'll post my findings. And otherwise if I get stuck I'll just be asking new questions ;).
Thanks Chestermiller for the input!

Last edited:

1. What is shear stress in a thin profile?

Shear stress in a thin profile refers to the force that is applied parallel to the surface of a material, causing a deformation or strain in the material.

2. How is shear stress calculated in a thin profile?

Shear stress is calculated by dividing the force applied parallel to the surface by the area of the surface that the force is acting on. This can be expressed as τ = F/A, where τ is shear stress, F is the applied force, and A is the surface area.

3. What factors affect shear stress in a thin profile?

The factors that affect shear stress in a thin profile include the material properties such as elasticity and strength, the thickness of the material, the angle at which the force is applied, and the type of load (e.g. tension, compression, bending).

4. What are some real-world applications of shear stress in a thin profile?

Shear stress in a thin profile is commonly seen in structural engineering, such as in the design of bridges and buildings. It is also important in the aerospace industry for designing and testing aircraft components. In the medical field, shear stress plays a role in understanding blood flow and the function of blood vessels.

5. How can shear stress in a thin profile be reduced or minimized?

Shear stress in a thin profile can be reduced by using materials with higher strength and elasticity, increasing the thickness of the material, and distributing the force over a larger surface area. Proper design and engineering techniques can also help to minimize shear stress in structures and components.