1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Shear Stress In A Wooden Block

1. Aug 21, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    shear.jpg

2. Relevant equations

[itex]\sigma[/itex] = F/A

3. The attempt at a solution

I understand that I should evaluate the different forms of stress to find different values of the ultimate load. I also understand that I should choose the smallest value among them since anything greater than the smallest value will cause failure.

I know how to calculate the normal stress in the block and the shear stress in the steel.
    I don't understand where shear stress occurs in the block and thus how to calculate it.

shear2.jpg

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 21, 2011 #2

nvn

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

NinjaGodel: Shear stress occurs uniformly on the two planes represented by the dashed lines. This is often referred to as "shear tear-out." Give it a try.

Also, hint 1: Should Pu for tau_steel be two times what you currently computed?

4. Aug 21, 2011 #3
    Ah yes it should be because it's in double shear

I knew that:redface:

So the double shear force on the block would go across this shaded surface area:
    shear3.jpg
    Plus the inner face of the left block I drew

Right?
    Thanks for your help by the way

Last edited: Aug 21, 2011
  5. Aug 21, 2011 #4

nvn

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

NinjaGodel: That is correct. And your answer looks correct. Excellent work.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook