Shear stress on beam loading

In summary: In fact, the force at Pin C will be greater than the force at Pin A.Yes. In summary, you need to restrict your FBD to the beam AB in order to solve equilibrium equations.
Mechaman
1. Determine average shear stress. Question attached2. Shear Stress = F/A , Sum of Forces and Moments = 0, Trig3. Attempt attached.

Having a hard time determining reaction at pins. I worked out that the opposite side is 4.5m. I assume the next step is to determine reaction then apply Shear Stress = F/A to the Y forces on the pins only??

Attachments

• DSC_3487.jpg
    DSC_3487.jpg
    28.8 KB · Views: 435
  • DSC_3482.jpg
    DSC_3482.jpg
    25.7 KB · Views: 415
Physics news on Phys.org
Where do you get that the acute angle is 37 degrees? The figure with the problem statement says the angle is 30 degrees, as does the sketch attached to your work.

SteamKing said:
Where do you get that the acute angle is 37 degrees? The figure with the problem statement says the angle is 30 degrees, as does the sketch attached to your work.
You're right, I don't know why I put 37 down. Even so, any idea of finding the reactions?

Mechaman said:
You're right, I don't know why I put 37 down. Even so, any idea of finding the reactions?

Yes. And you should know how, too, but you stopped your calculations for some reason.

At point B, the ΣF = 0. You have calculated RBy = 40 kN. The unknown force in the support rod BC must have a vertical component which is equal to and opposite of RBy. Based on the geometry, you can work out what the tension force in the support rod BC must be.

I noticed that in writing your equations to sum forces in the vertical direction, you included the force at Pin C. You should restrict your FBD to the beam AB and write equilibrium equations only for that member. You can always treat the support rod BC as a separate free body.

So is the Y force running through point A the same as point C?

Mechaman said:
So is the Y force running through point A the same as point C?

Beats me. But the way you had your original equilibrium equations set up, you couldn't solve them. That's why I recommended that you treat the beam AB as a separate free body and the support rod BC as another free body. The equilibrium equations you write for each free body can be solved.

Pins A and C are not connected to each other in any way, so the vertical forces in each will not necessarily be equal either.

1. What is shear stress on beam loading?

Shear stress on beam loading is a type of stress that occurs in a beam when external forces act perpendicular to the axis of the beam. This causes the beam to experience a shear force, which results in shear stress along the cross-section of the beam.

2. How does shear stress affect a beam's strength?

Shear stress can significantly decrease the strength of a beam. When the shear stress exceeds the material's shear strength, it can cause the beam to fail and break. Therefore, it is essential to consider shear stress when designing beams to ensure their structural integrity.

3. What factors affect shear stress on beam loading?

Several factors can affect shear stress on beam loading, including the magnitude and direction of the external forces, the beam's length, and its cross-sectional shape. Material properties such as shear modulus and shear strength also play a significant role in determining shear stress.

4. How is shear stress calculated on a loaded beam?

The calculation of shear stress on a loaded beam involves dividing the shear force by the cross-sectional area of the beam. The shear force can be determined by summing up all the external forces acting perpendicular to the beam's axis. The cross-sectional area is calculated by multiplying the beam's width by its height.

5. How can shear stress on beam loading be reduced?

To reduce shear stress on a loaded beam, the beam's cross-sectional shape can be modified to increase its shear strength. Additionally, increasing the beam's width or height can also help distribute the shear stress over a larger area, reducing its intensity. Properly reinforcing the beam with additional materials can also help decrease shear stress.