Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Shear stress or more

1. Dec 2, 2015 #1
    Hi there
    I've got a task where i need to use manual calculations with this setup (see attach.)
    there is a cylinder with two internal grooves (yellow part). 5 Dogs are equally spaced (72deg.) inside that cylinder. They are being pushed by the Force against the grooves in the cylinder. What stresses i have to calculate to make sure the construction is stable with applied Force. And what equations I need to use.

I guess is only shear stress, maybe a compression stress from 45deg angle, but someone is mentioned bearing stress as well. Is there any kind of stresses i should be looking at?

Kind Regards, S.

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 7, 2015 #2
    Thanks for the post! This is an automated courtesy bump. Sorry you aren't generating responses at the moment. Do you have any further information, come to any new conclusions or is it possible to reword the post?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook