1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Shear Stress Quick Question

1. May 8, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Just a quick question:

Wikipedia tells me that due the shearing stress, the yeild strength of Stainless Steel is 520Mpa

But how can i find out the Yeild strength of a 100mm long rod with diameter 10mm.

Is the info for wikipedia based on a 1mx1mx1m cube? or some sort of SI unit.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
  2. jcsd
  3. May 8, 2008 #2

Gold Member

The yield point is where plastic deformation occours due to stress.
    Stress = Force/Area
    Strain = Change in length/Original length.
    Young's Modulus = Stress/Strain
    You would find the cross sectional area to work out stress. At the yield point the stress and strain are no longer porportional. Since length doesn't matter for strength if you know the area for the stainless steel then you should be able to work out the yeild stress for the rod.
  4. Apr 11, 2010 #3
    how i can work out the maximum shear stress of 80 mm diameter solid shaft of en 19 alloy steel? i need this in order to work out the minimum shaft diameter that will capable of withstanding the torque applied to it.
  5. Apr 11, 2010 #4

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You should be given this value, or you can look it up somewhere. Tensile and shear yield strengths are a function of the material properties. For alloy carbon steels, the shear yield stress is aproximately the tensile yield stress divided by the square root of 3. I am not sure if this relationship holds for stainless steel alloys.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?