Calculating Shear Stress in Stainless Steel Rod - Quick Question

In summary, the yield strength of stainless steel is 520Mpa due to shearing stress. The yield strength of a 100mm long rod with diameter 10mm can be found by calculating the cross sectional area. For a 80mm diameter solid shaft of en 19 alloy steel, the maximum shear stress can be found by dividing the tensile yield stress by the square root of 3. This relationship may not hold for stainless steel alloys.
pukey123

Homework Statement

Just a quick question:

Wikipedia tells me that due the shearing stress, the yeild strength of Stainless Steel is 520Mpa

But how can i find out the Yeild strength of a 100mm long rod with diameter 10mm.

Is the info for wikipedia based on a 1mx1mx1m cube? or some sort of SI unit.

Cheers

Homework Equations

t=f/a

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
The yield point is where plastic deformation occours due to stress.
Stress = Force/Area
Strain = Change in length/Original length.
Young's Modulus = Stress/Strain
You would find the cross sectional area to work out stress. At the yield point the stress and strain are no longer porportional. Since length doesn't matter for strength if you know the area for the stainless steel then you should be able to work out the yeild stress for the rod.

how i can work out the maximum shear stress of 80 mm diameter solid shaft of en 19 alloy steel? i need this in order to work out the minimum shaft diameter that will capable of withstanding the torque applied to it.

nileshrathod said:
how i can work out the maximum shear stress of 80 mm diameter solid shaft of en 19 alloy steel? i need this in order to work out the minimum shaft diameter that will capable of withstanding the torque applied to it.
You should be given this value, or you can look it up somewhere. Tensile and shear yield strengths are a function of the material properties. For alloy carbon steels, the shear yield stress is aproximately the tensile yield stress divided by the square root of 3. I am not sure if this relationship holds for stainless steel alloys.

1. What is shear stress?

Shear stress is the force per unit area that is applied parallel to a surface, resulting in a deformation or displacement of the material.

2. How is shear stress calculated?

Shear stress is calculated by dividing the force applied parallel to the surface by the cross-sectional area of the surface that the force is being applied to.

3. What are some common examples of shear stress in everyday life?

Some common examples of shear stress in everyday life include cutting food with a knife, walking on a slippery surface, and brushing your hair with a comb.

4. How does shear stress affect different materials?

The effects of shear stress on different materials can vary. In some materials, shear stress can cause deformation or failure, while in others it may cause a change in shape or flow of the material.

5. How can shear stress be reduced or managed in engineering and design?

Shear stress can be reduced or managed in engineering and design by using materials with high shear strength, incorporating reinforcements, and designing structures with appropriate cross-sectional areas to withstand shear forces.