1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Shear Stress

1. Feb 14, 2010 #1
    http://s44.photobucket.com/albums/f46/maximus11373/?action=view&current=w-1.jpg&newest=1

An inclined member is braced with a glued block, as shown. The ultimate shear stress in the glued joint is 1050 psi. Determine the dimension X at which the glued joint will fail.

I know that

-shearstress= (Pressure x length) dived by (Area x modulus of elasticity)

- At point A there is X forces and Y forces, at point B there is Normal Force.

-Pressure max = (Shearstress X Area)

------------

so far i know that Force at A in the X direction is 1050x (2x2) = 4200 lbs

other than that im stuck and i dont know where to start.....any help would be appreciated.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 14, 2010 #2

PhanthomJay

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

wrong equation
    yes, assuming the wall is frictionless
    max average shear force = max shear stress x Area
    Yes, good
    What must be the normal force on the ladder from the wall? Then try summing moments about A (must be equal to 0) to solve for X.

4. Dec 9, 2011 #3
    Is there anyone out there that could help with this problem

5. Dec 10, 2011 #4

nvn

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

GreenwoodSpur: Someone did, above, in post 2. Regardless, the PF rules for homework questions state you must list relevant equations yourself, and show your work. And then someone might check your math. (See PF rules link at the top of each page.)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook