Troubleshooting Shear Stress Equation for Physics Test

In summary, the conversation is about a student studying for a physics test and noticing an incorrect equation given by their teacher for shear stress. The expert explains the correct equation for stress and clarifies the difference between shear and tensile stress. They also mention the role of the shear modulus and provide the correct equation for shear deformation between parallel plates.
tristanmagnum

Homework Statement

i am study for a physics test and i think my physics teacher gave me the wrong equation for shear stress

Homework Equations

she gave me F=Δx/l *A

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
That is definitely not right. The units on either side of the equation do not match up. Force(F) has units of Newtons(kg*m/(s^2)) while the right side comes out to units of (1/(m^2)).

so then what would the equation be?

The equation for any stress (shear, tensile, or compressive) is: stress = Force/(Area of application). Determining stress at specific points in an object is a lot more complicated, but hopefully that's not required immediately after an intro to the concept. The most important thing to remember though I suppose is that the units on either side of any equation have to match up.

so stress can be used to find the shear modulus?

tristanmagnum said:
so then what would the equation be?
The equation you gave is for tensile stress, not shear stress, and, you left out Young's modulus on the right hand side of the equation.

what is this equatiomn Δl=(1/G)(F/A)l

Chestermiller said:
The equation you gave is for tensile stress, not shear stress, and, you left out Young's modulus on the right hand side of the equation.
Even then, it is not, strictly speaking, the equation for the stress, right? Rather, it is the equation relating stress to strain.

tristanmagnum said:
That is the equation for shear deformation measured perpendicular to the length of a square element of the cross section.

so is that what I am looking for ?

tristanmagnum said:
so is that what I am looking for ?
That is the equation for shear deformation, not shear stress.

so what's the shear stress equation because that's the only equation i can find in my book?

For pure shear stress or average shear stress caused by a force F acting parallel to the plane of the cross section, it is F/A, as previously stated.

tristanmagnum said:
I've never seen an equation like this with the shear modulus G in it, and I have lots of experience with deformational mechanics. This is the equation for a tensile deformation, provided the G is replaced by the Young's modulus E (or some people use Y). For a shear deformation between two parallel plates separated by a distance Δy, the equation to use is (F/A)=GΔx/Δy, where F is the tangential force on the upper plate (a plane of constant y), Δx is the displacement in the x direction of the upper plate relative to the lower plate, A is the area of the plates, and G is the shear modulus = [itex]\frac{E}{2(1+\nu)}[/itex], where [itex]\nu[/itex] is the Poisson ratio.

1. What is the shear stress equation used for in physics?

The shear stress equation is used to calculate the amount of force per unit area that is applied tangentially to an object. It is commonly used in fluid mechanics and solid mechanics to understand the behavior of fluids and materials under shear forces.

2. How do you troubleshoot issues with the shear stress equation?

If you encounter problems with the shear stress equation, the first step is to check your calculations for any errors. Make sure you are using the correct values for the variables in the equation and that your units are consistent. You can also compare your results with known values or use a different method to confirm your answer.

3. What are some common mistakes when applying the shear stress equation?

Some common mistakes when using the shear stress equation include using incorrect values for the variables, using the wrong equation for the specific situation, or not taking into account the direction or magnitude of the applied force. It is important to double check your work and make sure you are using the correct equation for the given scenario.

4. How can I improve my understanding of the shear stress equation?

To improve your understanding of the shear stress equation, it is helpful to review the basic principles of shear stress and how it relates to other concepts in physics. You can also practice solving different types of problems and seek help from a tutor or teacher if you are struggling with a specific aspect of the equation.

5. Are there any real-world applications of the shear stress equation?

Yes, the shear stress equation has many real-world applications. It is used in the design of structures, such as bridges and buildings, to ensure they can withstand the forces of wind and other external factors. It is also used in the study of blood flow in the human body and the behavior of fluids in pipelines and other systems.